• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yoga or Chi-Kung

Seems most people are slightly informed about Yoga and dramatically less informed about Chi Kung. Chi Kung is what Chinese martial artists practice to improve their chosen style. I do not fully understand why many martial artists turn to Yoga to for fill missing gaps in their style. Chi Kung can be practiced as soft as silk or practiced as hard as iron. As gentle as a summer breeze or as dramatic as a thunder and lightning storm. Chi kung can be practiced solely for: health, beauty and longevity. Chi Kung is interconnect with martial arts when yoga is not. Yoga has been around in popular culture in the West since the Beatles. Mass marketing has done a great job for instilling in peoples minds the flexibility aspects of yoga. Pilates is now the fashionable alternative to yoga. Also Yogalates if you feel the need to blend the two. Yogarate is the term I've come up with for those that feel the need to add Yoga to improve their Karate. Yogitsu the combining of Yoga and Jujitsu is more understandable because of practicing both mostly on ground level. Getting back to Chi Kung, it's very much about breathing techniques also. Storing energy in the body and circulating or directing energy in the body as well. Talking to sports trainers, health club owners, they have never heard of Chi Kung. It is estimated that sixty million people practice Chi Kung in China. I'm sure that more people practice Yoga in India than Chi Kung in China. Have you heard more about Yoga or Chi Kung?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Talking to sports trainers, health club owners, they have never heard of Chi Kung. It is estimated that sixty million people practice Chi Kung in China. I'm sure that more people practice Yoga in India than Chi Kung in China.

I have worked in several Gyms + health clubs along with having a good relationship with many Exercise Scientists, Exercise Physiologists, Physiotherapists, Personal Trainers etc and the only ones that know of it are culturally aware but haven't practiced it themselves or they have done it when they lived in China. Having a Martial Arts Background I often give advice; even at the rudimentary level of what certain Martial Arts are like.

Yoga is a very Indian concept whilst Chi Kung (Chi Gong or whatever spelling you know of) is very Chinese. IMHO People are more drawn to Yoga because of the Meditative and Relaxing Qualities that it offers, and people will promote something that they feel is of benefit and less "scary" in their eyes.

As such you can't expect people to be informed of it when they haven't experienced it themselves or have an interest in learning about such topics. Even if they were somewhat informed about it they would only know of the Hard Portion of it due to having seen it live when the Shoalin Monks have come to town or have seen it on Youtube or TV.

For example here in Melbourne (Victoria Australia) there are approximately 20 Schools that teach Chi Kung compared to the hundreds of locations that teach Yoga.

Also IMHO you can't say that Chi Kung is more interconnected with Martial Arts, whilst Yoga isn't. The way I see it is that for Yoga yes it is about poses, but it also has concepts that can slot into Martial Arts relatively well (dependent on the Martial Art in itself) like the posturing, moving gracefully whilst maintaining balance. This interconnects with Martial Arts as you need posturing and balance to move even when you could be placed in a compromising position. Whilst Chi Kung yes can be used more proficiently than Yoga.

So in other words for me Yoga can be used for a supplementary viewpoint whilst Chi Kung can be used more Practically.

Thank you Nidan. Your BJJ benefits from Yoga practice I'm sure but have you tried to use Chi Chi Kung also? The issue I'm making is that there are hundreds of Chi Kung exercises to be explored. You have many valid points Nidan. Chi Kung is also used as a supplement for many Chinese martial art styles. Chi Kung can stand alone for health benefits also. I witness personal trainers every day in all seasons of the year. Mostly from my point of view too young and lacking in experience. They the trainers do a fantastic job with people their own age. When I see them doing the same exercise techniques with the senior crowd it amazes me how out of touch and inappropriate they are. Also for instance in the park, Chi Kung is never practiced on a windy day because the energy is scattered in the wind, yet this doesn't stop or deter some trainers at all. Doing resistance training with thick rubber bands on a cold day, the senior citizens should be some where warm drinking hot tea. Tea drinking happens to be a Chi Kung technique. You would not expect to see Yoga practiced in the cold and neither should Chi kung.Chi Kung works well for the older crowed because of many factors. A few examples are the internal massage benefits. The practice of swinging arms in a relaxed way for circulation purposes. Breathing techniques that help to relieve tension in the body. Personally after a fulfilling week of exercises I can hardly move to get out of bed. I don't turn to Yoga for help instead I use Chi Kung. The older generation imho should be taught Chi Kung. Trainers should learn Chi Kung and help the aged properly instead of missing the point with resistance training. Yoga and Chi Kung have there place. I switch between the two regularly during my workout sessions. If you practice Yoga, meditate on this "Chi Kung involves far too many advantages for martial artists to ignore"

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you Nidan. Your BJJ benefits from Yoga practice I'm sure but have you tried to use Chi Chi Kung also? The issue I'm making is that there are hundreds of Chi Kung exercises to be explored. You have many valid points Nidan. Chi Kung is also used as a supplement for many Chinese martial art styles. Chi Kung can stand alone for health benefits also. I witness personal trainers every day in all seasons of the year. Mostly from my point of view too young and lacking in experience. They the trainers do a fantastic job with people their own age. When I see them doing the same exercise techniques with the senior crowd it amazes me how out of touch and inappropriate they are. Also for instance in the park, Chi Kung is never practiced on a windy day because the energy is scattered in the wind, yet this doesn't stop or deter some trainers at all. Doing resistance training with thick rubber bands on a cold day, the senior citizens should be some where warm drinking hot tea. Tea drinking happens to be a Chi Kung technique. You would not expect to see Yoga practiced in the cold and neither should Chi kung.Chi Kung works well for the older crowed because of many factors. A few examples are the internal massage benefits. The practice of swinging arms in a relaxed way for circulation purposes. Breathing techniques that help to relieve tension in the body. Personally after a fulfilling week of exercises I can hardly move to get out of bed. I don't turn to Yoga for help instead I use Chi Kung. The older generation imho should be taught Chi Kung. Trainers should learn Chi Kung and help the aged properly instead of missing the point with resistance training. Yoga and Chi Kung have there place. I switch between the two regularly during my workout sessions. If you practice Yoga, meditate on this "Chi Kung involves far too many advantages for martial artists to ignore"

I am coming from an Exercise Science point of view which if you place it on a Tree of all Exercise Based Fields is way above Personal Training and just about Physiotherapy due to our training having more exercise prescription to it than immediate rehabilitation.

Resistance Training is highly beneficial for multiple areas of health, not just building muscle. But I do understand where you are coming from, as there would be exercises that come from Chi Gung that can benefit people that Resistance Training may not provide. Although you would have to understand that anyone that provides exercise prescription can only approach from a scientific approach to it. Also we can only provide exercises that are safe for people to undertake without risk of injury when their training on their own. Especially if their clients are inexperienced in Training for Health, or also inexperienced in Martial Arts.

I am young (24 Years Old), but specialize in Older Adults but would not train my clients outside unless it was specifically for activities that they enjoy or for management of their everyday health to gain an understanding of what needs to be improved on. But I also work with people my age and younger because of sport and lifestyle management, but they only make up 30% of all my clients.

For example one of my clients is retired and loves playing tennis and doing various activities, so why would I keep them inside doing exercises that are specific to what they want?

Personal Trainers utilise outdoor spaces year round because people do things outdoors year round, especially older adults. Also it happens to be a cost effective manner for them as they don't have to pay for the site. Take into account they are not trained to deal with that population, as they have learnt to deal with only people of their age due to those attending those courses.

Personally I haven't tried Chi Gung yet due to my busy schedule for work, university and my own personal training also due to the lack of available schools that teach it and is geographically viable for me. As I am out in Footscray 80% of the time (those who live in Melbourne Victoria understand where it is), otherwise in the Melbourne CBD, Richmond or Balwyn the rest of the time.

The main thing is that people go to Personal Trainers, Physios, Exercise Scientists or other Exercise Professionals due to them wanting to manage one thing or another. Often for them that it is usually to manage their weight or to manage any disability that they may have. I have personal relationships with Exercise Physiologists that have been trained in various Martial Arts and utilise it in their practice with clients. Also we have to take into account what clients want, many don't want spiritual guidance or to do anything that doesn't affect their health if they can't physically see it.

Trainers can provide recommendations for activities that can supplement their training, and Chi Gung can fall into this category. Many of my own clients are extremely religious and will not undertake any activity that is remotely used by other religions, or is heavily influenced by it EVEN if it is not influenced by any religion

IMHO on a cold day, you should still exercise but instead of just drinking hot tea you still can exercise just indoors. Older Adults have the obvious increased risk of injury and need to be careful due to the risk their immune system could be easily compromised.

People who are Personal Trainers often move on into other fields or have upgraded their knowledge through attending university courses by attaining their Bachelors Degree and the subsequently attaining Post-Graduate Degrees (honours, masters and PHD). That is why you won't often find older people that are practicing personal trainers, and more often than not if you are older and a PT people will see you as having outdated knowledge or training methods and applying incorrect training concepts.

Yes it has it many advantages that other Martial Artists could use, but it boils down to their knowledge and access to it then also comes down to their needs and wants to gain any real benefit out of it. This is also for those who don't undertake any form of Martial Art, but for older people Resistance Training is the major training point along with Cardiovascular Training due to the impact that it has on joints, muscles, ligaments and tendons along with various other uses that it has. But it can be mainly bodyweight exercises that won't cause excessive stress through the body.

Hi Nidan! From my observations of younger fitness trainers with elderly people is that they both could do with some pandiculation theory and practice. I have talked to many people in the fitness game and they have never heard of pandiculation. Elderly people stop pandiculating and because of it they start to become less able bodied. It is so simple to do and learn that it is overlooked by the majority. Top athletes however know how to work pandiculation techniques into improving their performance records. Formula racing technology has improved the average car. The same idea for top athlete training (pandiculation) techniques to improve the average aging citizens to stay active, could work also. IMHO