• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Asthma affecting my sparring and stamina training

circa02

I've been going to my dojo for about 4 years and my stamina pretty much remains terrible. I;m starting to get discourage dispute my knowing that that I'm not their to compete with others, but to better myself, and that despite my troubles I'm still going and learning, albeit more slowly then the the average person. I mean I see all my classmates lasting much longer the me when sparring, it's really an emotional downer. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I used to have asthma, but I stopped drinking milk and went to a chinese docter, he gave me some herbs and it cleared right up.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I have asthma, too. Don't let it get to you. If I get "winded", I just bow out for a few minutes. Then get right back in there and try again. I also see people that don't have asthma "drop" after sparring, so it's not just us. Don't get discouraged.

I am worried also, because I have asthma, my test is 12/11 and I am going to a tourny 12/15. Yes, I am sparring. It is nerve racking, because I'm affraid of not being able to finish the rounds without an attack, but I'm going into it head first. I'm not going to let it stop me. I'll be able to say "At least I tried." :)

Laurie F

Some days the asthma can be much more of a problem than other days. I also have asthma. And it is a drag to keep working but make slower progress than everyone else.

I find that using my inhaler prior to training can make a difference. And I have also found that if I do no physical activity at all the breathing situation actually gets so much worse. So for me struggling to keep up is definately better than just sitting and not trying period.

I suffer from Asthma too, the best thing i did was to go swimming reglularly. Once you get into it you will see a difference.Like radok said stay of the milk it builds up mucos which dosnt help the asthma.

pain is temporary, pride is forever!

i also have athsma but not very badly. i always make sure i have an inhaler on me and my instructers understand that sometimes ill need it.

the best advice i can give you is swimming and jump rope. swimming is very good and jump rope for some harder but still quite light aerobic work.

My son has stress induced asthma. If he exerted himself in any way, he could go into an attack. Our doctor put him on a maintenance inhaler. He takes 2 puffs each morning, and now we can't tell he suffers from asthma. I join him twice a week in TKD class. Check with your doctor about this solution, it might work.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!