• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you train in the mountains like Mas Oyama?

According to the Internet, Goju Ryu Master So suggest that he train for 3 years in the mountains. Although he didn't stay the full 3 years, Mas Oyama won a huge fighting championship upon his return.

If you were given the opportunity to train in the mountains, in isolation for 3 years with no distractions, would you do it?

How do you think that would go?

I can tell you without a doubt, taking naps would be apart of my daily routine!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I lived in Northwestern Montana for many years, which is in the middle of the Rocky Mountains.

It's pretty "isolated"..lol.

I loved it and trained ouytside whenever possible.

OK...OK...not like YOU mean :brow:

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Yes I would but I would be distracted because I would miss my friends and family too much.

Training at altitude is amazing as there is less oxygen in the air. Therefore you are adapting your body to require less oxygen to function at high intensity whilst closer to sea level.

There has been multiple studies on this matter of high altitude training (aka training in the mountains).

But on the other hand I find training in isolation harder because you will be unable to focus on technique whilst in a confined space having to defend yourself. But I understand totally why some of the old masters undertook this type of training to better themselves spiritually and psychologically.

Ah...no!!

I'm a product of big city living; alas a member of the rat race. I'm spoiled by the many conveniences that the big city provides by living in the big city, no matter how many inconveniences might exist.

I've been to a few mountains in my life, mostly for recreational purposes, and many of the mountains I've visited had snow or a waterfall or both, however, I've never trained of any degree at any mountain.

Please understand, and believe that I, in no way, are making fun of those who've trained or want to train in this fashion; to each their own.

I say this, if it, whatever it is, improves ones MA betterment, then do it, and do it well by completely submerging oneself in that commitment totally without any reservation and/or ambiguity.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Isolation is something that comes from within the mind. Although it is a good opportunity to practise concentration and test one's mental endurance, going to a mountain or other such place is not necessary, nor is it the only way.

A martial artist who is able to train with the highest level of concentration, dedication and focuss in spite of whatever noise or distractions around, can do it anywhere. Doing it surrounded by urban life noises and stress is probably more challenging than in a serene mountain environment with a gently gurgling stream or waterfall.

Sosai Oyama, took solace in the mountains twice!

The first time at the suggestion of Nei-Chu So. Sosai planned to spend three years on Mt. Minobu, he didn't and returned to the world, he later returned to the mountains and worked from Mt. Kiyosumi.

Both periods isolation count up to 3 years of isolation working with nature as a opponent as well as training partner.

Today Kyokushin students work where possible with nature to train.

e.g.

http://kyokushin-matsushima.jp/e/?p=7040

http://www.bkkwales.co.uk/2015/11/23/waterfall-training-2016/

I'd planned to go to this event ... completely messed up my dates and didn't go. :-(

I've run in the snow, which is to be perfectly honest very very refreshing and a true adrenaline rush once you get going, trained in the woods and pounded the roads all in full Gi!

I'd love to train on a mountain using nature as my opponent and training partner! ( ... but I'm a country boy at heart so big open spaces are a big thing for me (No pun intended)

If you get a chance to do any type of workout with nature (as it were) take it its a truly amazing feeling.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

No, I've seen Rocky 4. ASpartan life while training is one thing. That is altogether different. I've trained at altitude & enjoy it, but I need a community around me.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I don't think I would enjoy it, either. I like the modern approach to training in specially made gyms and dojangs with specially made equipment.

Every weekend during the summer I go up the local hill fort to do some dedicated out door training. I find the heaviest log or stone I can find and carry at the bottom, and try to go as fast to the top as I can, and at the top I do a routine of conditioning exercises against a tree, some calisthenics, and my kata, then on the way down I try to hit every tree I pass.

I find it useful as it requires me to be inventive in my training, and it is helpful for putting one's techniques into a real world setting as the dojo floor presents different challenges to one's foot work than say an incline or a grassy plateau.

Would I do such a thing as Mas Oyama? I must say probably not; I suspect it actually contributed to his relatively early death a long with his experiences in war time and post-war Japan as a Korean. Plus, with the availability of equipment in gyms and dojo these days, and some of the equipment you can find to increase the difficulty of one's training, what he put himself through I would say is now obsolete.

Now I would advise one constructs a home dojo because that forces you to learn how to train yourself without someone to watch and push you. I would also advise trying to fit some sort of outdoor training in on a semi-regular basis but would not say it should be the norm of one's training. Also, it is useful to train with others, when you have to compare yourself or keep up with others it stops you becoming lackadaisical or allowing yourself too much lenience.

So I would have to say I respect the feat Oyama achieved, but I do not think it wise or advisable in the modern era.

R. Keith Williams