• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just learned how to squat!

So I originally learned how to squat while doing Crossfit. Feet about shoulder width apart, go down below parallel. When I did that, I couldn't push my butt out enough. I struggled with 185lbs for a while. I developed a pain between my hip and my groin that caused me to stop doing back squats for a long time.

Right before the injury started, I had gotten up to 225 for 5 on my best day. Yesterday while in the gym, after 2 months of no squats at all, I hit 225 for an EASY set of 8! While I was with my unit, I heard a friend of mine say he hates when people don't push their butt out while squatting. This tempted me to try exaggerating that motion, since I never really thought about it. I never thought I was going to squat again. And I never imagined id actually have strong enough legs to pick up where I left off even better than before.

And yes, I went down low enough each rep. Parallel to be exact.

Just feeling proud so I thought I'd share this story! Anyone have any similar experiences?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good work Scohen0300.

I think what happened with your injury is that you were pushing yourself too low and your body was not coping with the depth therefore your injury.

Going Parallel to your knees is where I personally believe you should go with squats and not getting your butt to the ground. I personally believe this to be far safer than what you would have been shown how to do it in the crossfit box.

Personally I squat to the same height as my knees and no lower.

Congrats scohen0300. :) That's a good feeling.

I don't have any stories like that, that I can think of. I lift dumb bells and lift much lower weights. :)

Patrick

Squatting to the point where the crease in the hip is parallel to the knee is the proper depth for a legal squat in powerlifting competitions, usually. There really isn't any reason to go butt-to-grass, as that can cause what some lifters refer to as "butt wink," which is where you lose that hard lordotic arch in your back you are supposed to hold when you squat, which is attained with that butt-out position.

Its cool hear that not only is someone squatting, but they are striving to do it correctly! Good for you, scohen0300! If you are looking for any more tips on squatting, check out Starting Strength's youtube channel, and the book of the same name. It has great sections that teach how to do all the main barbell exercises.