• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much can i pratice stretch for better kicks ?

philippeb

Ok, to sum it up.

I used to practice taekwondo when i where younger.

Got into bodybuilding, added somthing like 80-90LB musclemass over 9 years, and now i quit for serval reasons and went back into martial arts (Goju ryu since we dont have taekwondo near where i am located now).

But man .. my kicks are bad ..

So im stretching a lot, but i am worried i might be doing it too much at once ?

What would be recomended for maximum effort and gains from my stretch ?

I might add that im:

176CM

102 kg 2 month ago and down to 92KG.

My legs are really big, and i know i need to drop more muscle mass to be able to move better, but it takes time.

I dont know if it should be taken into condiseration when stretching so much.

i thank you in advance for your expertice and help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stretching every day shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't forcing it too much.

Some good kicking focused stretches here:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I don't think you need to drop the muscle mass to be flexible. You need to focus on stretching and working your joints through a full range of motion. I've had big legs for some time, and they aren't all muscle, but stretching and practicing kicking have always helped me keep my kicks at a decent height.

You won't really need to drop muscle mass to assist with kicks. As there is are many Body Builders who are absolutely ripped but are as flexible as Gymnasts.

Coming from an Exercise Science Perspective you shouldn't looking at maximum effort and gains for stretching just yet. Because this can lead to overdoing it therefore injury.

For anyone you need to work on your Range of Motion have a practical approach to what your doing.

As Stretching is quite diverse where you have Static, Dynamic, Ballistic and PNF along with various others. Stretching is a good daily exercise to do, but for long term they don't have a lasting impact on the muscles and tendons over time. Most of us here will stretch daily to help stay relatively loose and mobile.

As such you need to focus on the movements that you would perform for kicks and feel where the issue is. Because Kicking is quite frankly very technical. If you have tightness in your adductors (inner thigh) then stretch there.

I am also around your height and weight along with large thighs due to strength training. For Goju-Ryu Kicks they aren't as high as TKD kicks, but for you mobility is important. For me I can't do head kicks due to my weight and also due to knee issues.

You won't really need to drop muscle mass to assist with kicks. As there is are many Body Builders who are absolutely ripped but are as flexible as Gymnasts.

Coming from an Exercise Science Perspective you shouldn't looking at maximum effort and gains for stretching just yet. Because this can lead to overdoing it therefore injury.

For anyone you need to work on your Range of Motion have a practical approach to what your doing.

As Stretching is quite diverse where you have Static, Dynamic, Ballistic and PNF along with various others. Stretching is a good daily exercise to do, but for long term they don't have a lasting impact on the muscles and tendons over time. Most of us here will stretch daily to help stay relatively loose and mobile.

As such you need to focus on the movements that you would perform for kicks and feel where the issue is. Because Kicking is quite frankly very technical. If you have tightness in your adductors (inner thigh) then stretch there.

I am also around your height and weight along with large thighs due to strength training. For Goju-Ryu Kicks they aren't as high as TKD kicks, but for you mobility is important. For me I can't do head kicks due to my weight and also due to knee issues.

Thanks you all very mucht for inputs.

i will take this into consideration.

Tough - "Coming from an Exercise Science Perspective you shouldn't looking at maximum effort and gains for stretching just yet"

When should i ?

And where does it differ from "non-maximum effort/gain stretch" ?

I would advocate that you try easing into dynamic stretching to start.

This will include swinging leg raises under control in the directions of kicks (front kick, side kick and back kick).

With time, this should really start to loosen your legs (and hips!!!!) back up to get more out of static and isometric stretching.

Keep in mind that it is not only muscles that lead to high and dynamic kicks, but all of the ligaments and tendons too - if you don't go through the motions holistically, your not going to get any long term gains that come without drawbacks (read: injuries).

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

... (Goju ryu .....)

What would be recomended for maximum effort and gains from my stretch ?

I might add that im:

176CM

102 kg 2 month ago and down to 92KG.

... it takes time.

I dont know if it should be taken into condiseration when stretching so much.

Hi philippeb, thats' pretty much me about 4-5 years ago!

Although with me it wasn't muscle ...quiet the opposite to be honest! :wink:

Stretch and stretch some more, all of it relaxed none of it pushing none of it looking to be better than the last time.

What everyone has said above and (as I always say) breathe, its the exhale and relaxing effect it has on your body that you are trying to enhance!

Everything else and I do mean everything else will come along naturally!

4-5 years ago I came back to MA, my weight was up, my fitness was down, and my shape was round ... not bad for a former Kyokushinkai 1st kyu!

:lol:

'4 in1' exercise', as well as box splits and stiff leg kicks will help.

The kicking acts like a pendulum, the mass (your leg) drives the muscles to pull and stretch a little, the return swing acts like the exhale its relaxed, all your focus is on keeping a straight leg.

Its work and not a race when you stretch.

When you stretch, breath in as you go wider or longer, exhale and focus on relaxing as you do, the muscles and tendons will in time reward you with more and more movement obtained with less and less effort.

I really cannot stress enough to you the need to breathe and relax in any stretch!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Thanks you all very mucht for inputs.

i will take this into consideration.

Tough - "Coming from an Exercise Science Perspective you shouldn't looking at maximum effort and gains for stretching just yet"

When should i ?

And where does it differ from "non-maximum effort/gain stretch" ?

Maximum Effort vs. Minimum Effort translates to length of time and how you perform a stretch for. As an Adult it is very difficult to improve flexibility from stretching as your muscles + tendons are more 'set' in what they are accustomed to.

Usually Stretching will only help by approximately 10% of overall flexibility but it is not a long term way of improving flexibility.

But if you are looking for Maximum Gains you have to stretch dynamically or through the use of PNF (Peripheral Neuromuscular Facilitation) Stretching as this CAN aid in flexibility and height of kicks. But for both you should be aware that this can take a long time to work on.

Same goes with Minimum Effort because of the time required to attempt to improve flexibility.

People like Jean Claude Van Damn are 'naturally' flexible because their muscles have the length and joints allow for such movement.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a great range of opinions here. Another option is learning about pandiculation. Not many people know about it that should. The theory is to have a body yawn every 3 hrs to reset the length of your muscles. Dogs and Cats pandiculate about every 3 hrs. We humans can learn from them how to stretch correctly. We don't have a fur coat attached to our skin but they do. Heat, massage and relaxation play a major part in increasing flexibility. Tension and coldness is what will keep you stiff. Tension held in the neck and shoulders will create stiffness in the rest of your body. Another technique for gaining flexibility is to incorporate the idea of sleeping to the muscle you are stretching. Don't work on being flexible, think of it more as quality time out to breathe again and to release unwanted tensions. I see so many runners stretching their calf muscles before they go for that long awaited run with a strained look on their face, as if it supposed to be painful to stretch; far from it. Just get relaxed and smile while thinking about the cats and dogs that pandiculate naturally. Ballet dancers spend about three hours pandiculating or stretching before every performance. The warmer a muscle is the further it will stretch. Stretching a cold muscle can damage it. Cartilage in joints and tendons also need to be considered to be a part of your flexibility. Not just in the legs but in the entire body. Flexibility should be thought as giving full mobility for the entire body from top to bottom and to stretch the almost 600 muscles that keeps us going each and every day.