• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is training in public places a good idea?

Is training outdoors or elsewhere in public spaces a good idea? Why or why not?

To many martial artists, training outside the dojo/facility is a good opportunity to get accustomed to practise on irregular or unfamiliar ground. Some take it as a kind of exercise to hone concentration and awareness.

There are probably as many risks as there are benefits and there are those who would rather avoid training outside of a private place. The most common negative point is the risk of being disturbed by unwelcome attention such as being heckled at best and being challenged by troublemakers.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally I find that it is a good idea, as you are obviously more likely to be attacked anywhere and at any time. So this adds a more realistic approach to training outside over being just in the dojo, purely because this will force you to adjust and be more aware of your surroundings.

I agree with your point about getting some unwelcome attention by others, especially arrogant teens where they think that they are better than everyone and will fight everyone.

Be smart about where you are, and you shouldn't have too many problems. Going into gang territory and doing things like using trees as makiwara will most likely be interpreted as trying to be the alpha male.

Going to a family park, keeping to yourself and training away from the crowd shouldn't get much, if any attention. Pay attention to your surroundings.

I hit a bag the my local YMCA. It's on the suspended track in the gym, and the walkers and runners pass me by each lap. I've had 2 compliments - "You look like you'd be good at karate." Not sure how to take that one though; would I be good if I took lessons, or do I look like I know what I'm doing? Lol. The other was a guy got my attention from behind me and said "I just wanted to see your face so if I run into to you in a bar, I'll know to not to mess with you." Both guys were good about it. I'm just waiting for someone to criticize, so I can politely ask them to demonstrate. That'll be a win-win for me; either I'll get a good pointer or two, or I'll be able to say it's not as easy as it looks.

Parks and other such open outdoor public areas are usually the kind of place where unwelcome attention would be more likely. It is indeed a good idea to choose wisely the area and time if one is inclined to train outdoors.

Sometimes it is obvious that a place might be a bad choice but no matter where or when one chooses to train, there is no way to know who might be watching.That is what should be understood and accepted before deciding to practise in public.

Obviously the considerations and details will greatly differ from one environment to another. Traditionally and historically practise was done in secret or as much out of sight as possible. This appeals to many of the older generations and their students.

For example in Okinawa and Japan, it is entirely possible and very common to see karateka in parks, beaches and almost any open spaces. It would be foolhardy and asking for trouble to assume is is possible to do the same in the inner city in USA and many other countries.

It is up to the individual whether one should or shouldn't train outside publicly. While one might take more of a chance if one trains alone, as apposed to train with a partner or more; strength in numbers.

I surely would never train outside alone or with others if that area is well known for it's gang activity. You will be challenged, and I doubt that it would be a fair challenge, in the case they felt that your MA skills would best them.

I certainly wouldn't train outside with any MA weapons, more for what local, state, and federal laws in your state might be. Also, if you're not mindful of your MA weapon, it can fall in the wrong hands, and this includes any children.

Before I'd even consider to train outside alone or with a partner(s), I better have a great reason to do so, not just to do it, for whatever the reason(s). The MA is suppose to be private across the board, and whether that belief has died over the years in general, I'd first clear that type of training with your CI.

There's a lot of things that ones going have to consider, both the good as well as the bad; circumstances and consequences must be weighed maturely and quite thoughtfully.

If the outside is all one has to choose from away from your MA school, choose one wisely or don't choose at all; the garage, ones backyard, etc., can be safe haven over the outside in public.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It is difficult to confirm with any certainty that the custom of keeping training secret or private is disappearing. It is definitely not as common as it used to be but the reasons for it have remained the same as they were in the past. Then as now, the point is to avoid trouble and unwanted attention.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on his one sees it, there are many places where the phenomenon of street gangs and armed violence is virtually unknown. The bored, disturbed, drunk or stupid are found everywhere and anywhere. In most cases when there is trouble, it comes from these types.

Training in any public place indoors or outdoors can be done following certain precautions, but anything that is not empty-handed is a sure way to get into a mess of trouble. The risk of being reported to the law is the least of likely problems.

My origional sensei, as well as myself, trained outside in back yards, or public parks during he summer months. One of the main reasons for this is that you have a different surface to stand on (bare feet).

Grass is a lot diffent than mats (which I seldom had), concrete, wood or carpet of various lengths. Not to mention that outside you'd probably have ground that wasn't perfectly level, possible very soft.

I, for one, love training outside.

As a side note, we even trained outside IN THE WINTER occasionally! This is in Montana, where winds and deep snow are an ever present, and normal condition in the winter. No coats, gloves, hats, logn underwear or shoes allowed. Yes, we didn't train like taht often, and not for every long (15-30 min tops). it was fun...but then, I was in my 20's too! lol EVERYTHING ABOUT THE ARTS WAS FUN!!!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I think it depends on the area you are wanting to train in, and what kind of community you have around you.

I wouldn't prefer to do it in a heavy traffic area with lots of gawkers, but if you find a quite place in a park somewhere, or a big backyard, then it can be a nice training experience.

For room reasons I normally train my bo Katas and Open hand katas in my backyard in the summer. Just don't have room in my house anymore. I like training on the dirt because it gives you more experience on movement on different surfaces.

A few from my dojo have thought about training in the park or something yet we all have the same concerns. I would say learn your local laws on the subject. Pay attention to where and who is around you and those you train with. Pick a good location.

The laws about weapons are the main reason why it would be wise to train only empty handed if one is inclined to doing it in a park or other public open space. Location is the most important thing, as others have pointed out so far. Time is also important to think about as well. It is best to stay in an area that is familiar instead of a random spot that might look great at first glance but has hidden potential obstacles or problematic features.