• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Coach's Eye

JR 137

Anyone using this app? I bought it a while back when I was teaching physical education. I'd record students' techniques and play it back for them. Especially useful during weight training lessons.

It has a wheel that you turn to advance the motion as fast or slow as you want. You can draw on it using freehand, straight lines, etc.

After owning it for about 3 years, I decided to record myself hitting a Wavemaster XXL. Lots of great insight on what I need to work on. I noticed when I throw hook punches, especially to the head, my hands actually drop below my waist. I over-turn my body during roundhouse kicks (I knew this, but the camera made it more obvious). I don't snap enough during front kicks. I actually close my eyes at the point of impact during full force punches.

I could keep going, but I'll leave it at that.

Oh yeah, and I'm fatter than I thought I was.

The app is either $5 or $10. iPhone or iPad. Not sure about other devices, but I doubt it's not available.

Give it a try. It's more than just a video camera for your phone. If you teach, your students will probably love the feedback it can provide.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A fellow Canon guy. I knew I liked you. My 40D is getting a bit old. I want to get a 6D, but I don't have the disposable income.

Especially for what you do, you should check out coach's eye. However I'm not sure how much control you have over playback speed, drawing on the video, etc. Coach's Eye reminds me of instant replay on tv where they draw on the screen and fast forward and rewind a bunch of times.

An iPad would most likely be less bulky than your 70D and laptop too. Pic quality wouldn't be as good, but it's not bad by any means. Not trying to push it on you; there may be a free trial version of it.

During a physical education class, I used it when I was teaching the squat. It easily showed how far down they were going, and the common mistake of squatting not far enough and bending forward at the waist, making them think they were going further than they thought. I drew lines and said this is how far you should go down, and this is how far you're bending forward. They improved a lot from it.

You're going to get a lot more technical than I did with a lot more stuff and a lot higher caliber athletes than I did, but the principal is the same. I got turned on to it by a track & field coach. It helped his guys a lot in the long jump and pole vault.

Links to the apps:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/coachs-eye-instant-video-analysis/id472006138?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.techsmith.apps.coachseye.free

I've not used Coach's Eye specifically but will take footage and play it back slow mo for students using VLC player on the PC. I usually just take the screen shots out and annotate them but Coach's Eye looks pretty good in that you can annotate the video. Might give it a go. Thanks for sharing JR 137

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

A fellow Canon guy. I knew I liked you. My 40D is getting a bit old. I want to get a 6D, but I don't have the disposable income.

Especially for what you do, you should check out coach's eye. However I'm not sure how much control you have over playback speed, drawing on the video, etc. Coach's Eye reminds me of instant replay on tv where they draw on the screen and fast forward and rewind a bunch of times.

An iPad would most likely be less bulky than your 70D and laptop too. Pic quality wouldn't be as good, but it's not bad by any means. Not trying to push it on you; there may be a free trial version of it.

During a physical education class, I used it when I was teaching the squat. It easily showed how far down they were going, and the common mistake of squatting not far enough and bending forward at the waist, making them think they were going further than they thought. I drew lines and said this is how far you should go down, and this is how far you're bending forward. They improved a lot from it.

You're going to get a lot more technical than I did with a lot more stuff and a lot higher caliber athletes than I did, but the principal is the same. I got turned on to it by a track & field coach. It helped his guys a lot in the long jump and pole vault.

For what I do, using my camera is fine as I feel i get more detail out of it than using an ipad. Especially in regards to sending to clients.

I only use it for any exercise that is more complex than others. So i would use it for a Back Squat over a regular squat due to the extra strain on the body.

Although normally I don't have to use a camera, due to the nature of some of my clients where they are able be aware of what they're doing. As I got plenty of experience of watching by eye, but sometimes having the camera there is easier.