Anyone heard of this Franchise?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part I find suspect is the career opportunity page listing of manager/lead instructor. I always find it a dubious practice to hire in people to instruct for you; however, it is a growing trend in the franchise based segments of the martial arts. A trend I dislike, but cannot argue against the financial sense of it.

My gut instinct is that because it is a franchise; dojang to dojang will differ in quality. There does appear to be a cross-training program built in, and structured programs for adults and children. Sensible activities for any business based martial arts centers. Broadens one's potential student base, and in the MMA conscious world of today's consumers unarguably necessary to get people through the door.

The one locally may be a McDojo, or it might be half-decent; but as a franchise that is the gamble. I have encountered a half-decent Go Kan Ryu club, despite the general derision of that style. It was classic three K karate, but there are more styles than GKR alone shilling that.

R. Keith Williams

My thoughts...well...ahem...

Why is it that places like this are TKD based??!!?? Can't be just because TKD is a well known name, after all, TKD dojangs use the word "Karate" on their front window, brochures, and the like. According to their website, TKD is their core, through and through. The lineage is TKD, through and through.

I think that this might be a great thing because, after all, they've a website. And if they've a website, then they must be all that and a bag of chips. Besides, they've a 4th Dan who is/was Ms. USA, and can break boards.

Seems that their franchise might be financially viable across the board. If one wants to follow THIER franchise rules, and not have a voice of your own. Franchise owners who do things their way, are subject to losing their Franchise licensing, and that'll doom that school; they'll be Ronin's, with no port to call their own.

Here's more about that...

http://tigerrockmartialarts.com/franchise

I'd be interested in knowing how General Manager/Lead Trainer ARE SELECTED. Franchisers do not have to have any MA experience. Fine! Then that position is more of an Administrative position, and not the CI.

Then there's this...

http://tigerrockmartialarts.com/trainer-certifications

How do these "trainers" EARN their BB rank. I saw pics with individuals wearing 1st Dan to 5th Dan. By what way have they the right to wear those identifiers with their current means of certifications??

But, wait, they do award rank certifications...

http://tigerrockmartialarts.com/2015-world-championships-high-rank-promotions

http://tigerrockmartialarts.com/2015-spring-nationals-high-rank-promotions

Maybe this place in question utilizes TKD training in a way to Work Out and Fitness, and the like but not referring to any notable TKD curriculum in the completeness; just bit and pieces of TKD to build the Work Outs and Fitness programs that they're offering.

I've seen things like this where the CI was a GREEN BELT under THIER system/style, but they wore a black belt while that CI was teaching. OK?! Green belt as a CI? OK!?!?! But, a green belt wearing a black belt is false advertising, imho!!

Based on what I've garnered from their website, imho, they're a McDojo of the worse type. However, without visiting one of their schools for myself, I can be making a false assumptions. Their Franchise Models appear to have a very nice appearance to their schools from the nice wallpaper to their lobby to their main training floor; makes me want one for myself.

Franchise prices aren't too steep, yet, I suppose that the tier differences are based on square footage, location, bells and whistles, and things like that. Somewhere, you'll have to hang up on some noticeable wall the Franchise Licensing Certificate, as well as affixing their seals on the windows and the doors and wherever else they decide.

They've a school in Sugar Land, TX, a Houston suburb, and I just might pay them a visit to get a sense of whom they might be or might not be. Even then, it'll still be my opinion based on my interpretations.

I just don't know!! Is this place a dojang...or a fitness gym...or both?!?! Again, I just don't know!! To each their own, and while I've my suspicions about them, I must say that whatever a person decides about them, then that is their choice, and I respect that.

By me posting some of their links, for conversational purposes only, I'm in no way affiliated with them in any shape, way, and/or form; not in the past, present, and/or future!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I actually have heard of them, they have a dojo in Huntsville AL. I have never had any interaction with them, but they did get into an argument with a friend for giving them an honest review after they were less than respectable to one of their young child students that culminated, as I understand it, in them being financially dishonest with the family. Afterwards the friend received a number of less than friendly emails that threatened various actions if she did not take the review down.

So, my instinct is to stay away from them. However, they could be great in that location. Check them out, and trust your gut.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I'm fairly sure they're an ATA offshoot. Instructors from ATA background went on their own within the last 10 years or so. We have other TKD folks who may know the connection better, but I believe that is correct.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Check the place out. If it works for you it works for you. If it doesn't it doesn't. Just don't sign anything before you are 100% sure its what you want to do and still read the fine print.

I find these type of places ATA, GKR, this place may have a kids program that may not teach very well yet still have a good activities for the kids before they are ready to get serious about training. The other part like others say there may be some really good schools out there. You never know till you see what they do.

Check the place out. If it works for you it works for you. If it doesn't it doesn't. Just don't sign anything before you are 100% sure its what you want to do and still read the fine print.

I find these type of places ATA, GKR, this place may have a kids program that may not teach very well yet still have a good activities for the kids before they are ready to get serious about training. The other part like others say there may be some really good schools out there. You never know till you see what they do.

Solid post!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Solid post!!

Thank you