• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Parent On The Floor!!

Has any of you ever had YOUR parent(s) as one of your students?? Do you know of any instructor(s) that teaches their own parent(s)??

I've heard of it rarely, which doesn't mean it's not happening at all. I've seen families train together, which to me is quite normal. But, in the SKKA network, we've never had a CI teach their own parent(s).

I think it would've been cool to have taught either one of my parents. They were both very involved in my training, but it was from the sidelines.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had my mom as one of my assistant black belts for a time. My brothers and my dad were in for a time as well, but not while I was an instructor.

I had my mom as one of my assistant black belts for a time. My brothers and my dad were in for a time as well, but not while I was an instructor.

That's what I'm talking about; very cool, Brian, very cool!!

Not formally in class but I did try to teach my mother the first TKD form. She'd learnt the 24 form in Tai Chi so thought she come manage it. Needless to say it didn't go well as I don't have the patience and ended up storming out the room! :lol:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Not formally in class but I did try to teach my mother the first TKD form. She'd learnt the 24 form in Tai Chi so thought she come manage it. Needless to say it didn't go well as I don't have the patience and ended up storming out the room! :lol:

LOL!!

Knowing my parents, I think that they'd be, well, lousy students because, them being my parents, they'd want to still be, well, my parents!!

Remember, my mom was once physically sat down by my Sensei when she ran her mouth while she stepped on the floor without permission. I was livid and wanted to crawl under the dojo, and never come out. :roll:

An instructor in my org. (a friend) has both of his parents as students for several years. Both are now BBs. It works well for them.

I have 2 friends in my org who are co-senior instructors of their school. Each have children under 12 who are students. I asked one of them, "do you teach your own kids, or does your sister teach them?" She said that they each teach one another's kids, that way, she said, "they can be mad at their aunt for pushing them, rather than mom!" :)

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Being related and having to deal with one another everyday can make things difficult to manage. This is probably why it is a good idea to have someone else be the parent/child/sibling's main instructor.

A question to add to the OP: Would teaching one's parent be more or less challenging than teaching one's son/daughter? How and Why?

Being related and having to deal with one another everyday can make things difficult to manage. This is probably why it is a good idea to have someone else be the parent/child/sibling's main instructor.

A question to add to the OP: Would teaching one's parent be more or less challenging than teaching one's son/daughter? How and Why?

Neither...because a student is just a student, and must be treated as such!! If they're inappropriate, then they'll no longer be students. I can separate relationships because the floor demands that, nonetheless, if family can't seem to separate relationships while on the floor, than that, imho, is because they're very immature as MAists. My tolerance and patience has its limits!!