• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournaments: Minimum belt?

Darkranger85

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess it would depend on the tournament.

Our house tournaments are for all belts, with restrictions on white belts for sparring. The annual association tournament is open to orange and above.

Then there are BB only tournaments.

So yes there are minimum belt requirement to some tournaments, but not all. Usually the tournament flyers will give you the information of belt requirements and division splits.

Barnes

Most I've seen don't have minimum requirements, but they have divisions. Divisions by rank, gender, etc.

The rank divisions are broken up by years of experience rather than belt colors at the tournaments I've been to. It's been about 20 years since I've even looked at tournaments, but I don't imagine they've changed much.

Just as the title says, is there a minimum belt requirement for most tournaments?

Sure there is...White belt/beginner!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Just as the title says, is there a minimum belt requirement for most tournaments?

Sure there is...White belt/beginner!!

:)

I see what you did there.

The only thing I would think about is ask your Sensei if he would recommend you go to the tournament if you are white belt. The tournment's I have been to you either need to know at least 1 kata to compete in kata or have a basic(beginner) understanding of sparing. I can't seem to remember if there was any white belts at the last couple of tournaments I competed in. There is on Saturday. May update if I see any.

I know at the tournaments i go to follow the WKF Rules where you can't repeat kata in rounds (rules for children operate differently under 12 from memory). the change for children is usally that they can repeat the same kata in subsequent rounds or every 2nd round. Adults and teens can't repeat kata at all.

So advisable to know 2-3 kata which comes in handy. I know a lot of schools have adults to learn 1 or 2 kata per belt level.

Kumite you really just have to be any rank and have the appropriate kumite gear (WKF Sanctioned Tournaments require red & blue mits and pads)

This is going to be style and individual tournament specific. Though from my experience, the TKD circuit usually allows people to compete once they've earned yellow belt as that usually represents 6 months of training and students would know the first form.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My first tournament was as a white belt, after I had been in for about 8 months and with my instructor's okay to compete (that particular tournament kata was all underbelts grouped together. I took third).

Generally for kata based competition you want to be comfortable in enough kata that you do not need to repeat if you end up doing multiple rounds. In NASKA (used to be true in SKF and MASMAL, but I don't know if they still exist) you are allowed to repeat the same kata, but I have never seen someone score well who did.

Remember that rank advances differently in different styles. You may have a tournament that says no underbelts, etc; and some are open to all. You have some styles that have 10+ colored belts (the kyu system kinda leans towards ten in theory), and some that go white => black or white => brown => black, so that's not really a good metric to go by.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky