• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Skinny guy needs some muscle for karate

kenysvk

If you want to build muscle, the single best way to do that is to get on a strength training program utilizing multi-joint, compound lifts, like the squat, press, deadlift, bench press, power clean, and such.

If this is new to you, I recommend reading a book titled Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe. He has the information you need on how to do the lifts correctly, on why you should do these lifts, he provides a basic 3-day-a-week workout program involving linear progression that will get you off to a great start. He also recommends drinking milk as part of the plan to gain some weight.

Strength training is extremely important and everyone should do it. But i dislike the idea of recommending a book on teaching this type of thing. Because there is a high potential for something going wrong. And you need someone to watch and correct your form. It is like learning karate or TKD from a book but really needing someone there to correct you.

Also those books that provide a program to follow doesnt work for everyone because it works primarily for the person that wrote the book.

I prescribe exercise and train people regularly as part of my work and uni studies. And all of this is on an individual basis for best results. As i have one client who tore multiple muscles from doing what you suggested prior to coming to see me for help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is a good idea to have someone to instruct you on the lifts. But, if you don't have that person, you can learn to do it with the help of a good instructional guide. I learned to squat, deadlift, bench press, power clean, overhead press, and power snatch from reading his books and watching his videos.

Rippetoe does a great job of explaining the body mechanics behind the lifts, and how to do them properly. He also has a very important mantra for learning the lifts; "learn first, and then load; there is plenty of time later on to add weight to the bar."

There is a sad amount of incorrect coaching out there, and a lack of coaching. But, what is important to take from this book is the programming, which is the most important aspect of weight training, after learning to do the lifts correctly. This book covers that very well.

• 2 months later...

If you see this:

You mentioned you have no equipment. Look up Calisthenics on YouTube or google for ideas. You can get really creative with push-ups. You can also find a place to do pull-ups or chin-ups. DO NOT neglect leg exercises. Air squats, lunges, wall sits, squat jumps, lunge jumps, pistol squat, etc. power comes from your LEGS AND ABS FIRST. So do a bunch of core exercises as well. And you can't go wrong with running. Start slow and increase over time. But I highly recommend sprints. Builds power and speed in the legs. I ran track for a year as a sprinter and after the season I picked up Muay Thai and my kicks were a lot harder than any average joe starting out.