• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Patches

smileface777

I haven't put a patch on my gi in a while so bear with me. Where does a patch on a karate gi go. I have an SKIF patch so my guess is that it should be put on the left side. Is this accurate or should I just check with my sensei?

"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I haven't put a patch on my gi in a while so bear with me. Where does a patch on a karate gi go. I have an SKIF patch so my guess is that it should be put on the left side. Is this accurate or should I just check with my sensei?

You should definitely check with your Sensei--generally, they go on the left side of the chest, but many instructors pick different locations for their patches.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

You should definitely check with your Sensei--generally, they go on the left side of the chest, but many instructors pick different locations for their patches.

I agree!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Check with your sensei. If you get it wrong, it's probably not going to go over well.

Most chest patches I've seen are on the left. Maybe it's because that's the top/outer part of the gi. Maybe because it goes over the heart. Maybe both. Maybe none.

Check with your sensei, normally they go over the heart.

But on majority of my gi's i don't have any patches with the exception of the brands logos on them. I have only 1 gi that has my clubs logo on it, and it is on the left (it is embroided on).

Albeit I haven't worn my clubs gi in over a year now because of other gi's that I own. But sensei doesn't mind if we don't wear our club gi that has the embroided club logo on it.

Always ask the dojo head for these questions. However, experience confirms that in the majority of cases, the left side is correct. Left upper chest for the organization's patch and upper left arm for the dojo's patch. Sometimes embroidery is used instead, but again it is usually on the left side.

Always ask the dojo head for these questions. However, experience confirms that in the majority of cases, the left side is correct. Left upper chest for the organization's patch and upper left arm for the dojo's patch. Sometimes embroidery is used instead, but again it is usually on the left side.

True I have seen that in many cases where the clubs logo is on the arm, with the organisation above the heart. I think it is the SKIF has quite a long/large logo on their chest.

We're taught that the left side is used because it's the side of the heart. Makes sense, I suppose, after all, where do we place our right hand when we say the Pledge of Allegiance, for example...over our heart!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!