• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just How Long?!

sensei8

As a MAist, I've done more than my fair share of stretching; from my head to my feet and back. Stretching ones body before, during, and after performing any activity, especially those activities that in line with the MA.

We warm up...moving this way and that way in order to wake our body up for what we're about to do. Then, we stretch, and then we stretch some more.

All of that is good! But are we stretching properly?? Wait, was our instructors wrong about which stretch to do and how many reps and just how long to hold each stretch?!?!

It's the HOW LONG TO HOLD each stretch, that I'm concerned with.

We've been told to not bounce by Expert A, yet, Expert B says light bouncing is good. Hhhmmmm!! Then Expert A says, hold this stretch for 15-30 seconds, yet Expert B says to only hold this stretch for 5-10 seconds. Expert then find a loophole in the whole equation of HOW LONG by stating...

"Do what you can tolerate!" Boo...BOO!! I expect more of a definitive advice and instructions than that because it seems to me that that decision, being left to me, will not provide the optimum results. I, might think that 5-10 seconds is a short-cut; a cop out way through the loophole. And, 15-30 seconds is a way to be superman like through that same loophole. "If I do more, I'll be better!", OK...OR..."If I do less, but more reps, than I too, will be better!"

HA!! So, HOW LONG?? What is right?? Who is right?? All sounds good, but those who can't decide one way or another need assistance in deciding a proper course. My doctor, well, my doctor is my doctor, and physical trainer is a physical trainer; both experts in their respective fields, but, oh my gosh, CAN'T SOMEONE GIVE ME THE TRUTH TO...

...HOW LONG??

:o :idea: :brow: :roll: :wink: :-? :argue: :wave:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do long do you WANT to hold it for? How long CAN you hold it for? Expert C says you shouldn't hold a stretch at all, that it should be dynamic. Expert D says stick a carrot up your butt, and whole the stretch until the carrot falls out. My advise: hold it until you feel stretched enough. Your own body is pretty good about telling you how it feels, and that's feedback on expert can mimic in a lab.

I want to hold the stretch as prescribed. But the prescribers aren't in agreement, like that's not surprising at all. OK...so I'll hold a stretch for 30 minutes, because that's much better than 30 seconds, right?!? I know, I'm being a prune, but sheech!

Yeah, HOLD is a bad choice of words, but, you know, that word is used by todays experts in their respective fields. I "HOLD" a stretch until I'm bored with the darn thing; sometimes short, sometimes long, but am rarely right with the exact prescribed time, or until I remember that I'm stretching. Stretching can be long when I'm at home because I'll do it while watching something on TV.

:)

Definitive information on stretching is like the holy grail of MA training. I have spent the past few months researching stretching regimes in order to get my side and round kicks above waist level and I have come to the conclusion that lots of people have stretched effectively for what they want to do with themselves, each of them did it slightly differently and spent ages working out what types of stretching worked for them. I don't think there is a shortcut in this I think it is one of those "work it out for your own body type, goals and reasons".

I am finding some gains in holding a side split stretch for quite some time (~5 minutes then a further 3 mins after a short rest) but a friend of mine is getting similar results from dynamic side lifts which did nothing for me. I don't know the physiology but it seems to be a very complex question.

I want to hold the stretch as prescribed. But the prescribers aren't in agreement, like that's not surprising at all. OK...so I'll hold a stretch for 30 minutes, because that's much better than 30 seconds, right?!? I know, I'm being a prune, but sheech!

Yeah, HOLD is a bad choice of words, but, you know, that word is used by todays experts in their respective fields. I "HOLD" a stretch until I'm bored with the darn thing; sometimes short, sometimes long, but am rarely right with the exact prescribed time, or until I remember that I'm stretching. Stretching can be long when I'm at home because I'll do it while watching something on TV.

Every health practitioner that can prescribe stretches will have a different opinion on how long to "hold" a stretch for. I have been to a Physiotherapist recently and they advised 30-45 seconds, another advised 10-15 with a "bounce" (aka Balistic stretching which we know to be a very very bad idea) and then my favorite practitioners Exercise Physiologists (my people) we generally advise 10-15 seconds up to 30 seconds.

You also need to understand that over the years different research has come out with different conclusions and that people will have received different information as knowledge would be different depending on when the practitioner graduated from university/college.

But in the end it comes down to what type of stretch you are undertaking and the effect that you are looking for.

As you can have Dynamic Stretching, Static Stretching (Should only be done AFTER exercise), PNF (Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation) Stretching (you perform up to 10 seconds at a time) and many other types. PNF you is usually only done with ankles, knees and hips + you require a partner to aid in the stretching.

Also you need to take into account a persons responsiveness to stretching, as person A will not respond the same as person B. But Person A may have a similar outcome to Person C.

Holding a stretch for too long can cause damage to the muscle itself especially if performing a static stretch afterwards. That is why we recommend usually to a maximum of 30 seconds, but some stretches allow for that little bit of extra wiggle-room.

I'm confused!! Is the old adage..."Listen to your doctor" my only recourse at all?!?

Maybe I should find that middle ground and go on with it; hoping for the best in the long run. To do this or to do that.

I confused!

:o

I'm confused!! Is the old adage..."Listen to your doctor" my only recourse at all?!?

Maybe I should find that middle ground and go on with it; hoping for the best in the long run. To do this or to do that.

I confused!

Yes listen to your doctor but they shouldn't be leaving the realm of practice. A Medical Doctor should not be prescribing any exercises, UNLESS they are aware of specifics that is best for treatment of a condition. BUT should NOT be prescribing general stretches or exercises for anything else unless they have further qualifications that gives them that knowledge.

- Qualifications should have or take advice from:

- Cert 3 or 4 in Personal Training (Lowest form)

- Diploma of Personal Training

- Diploma of Health Sciences (or equivalent)

- Bachelor of Exercise Science and Human Movement (or Equivalent)/Bachelor of Physiotheraphy

- Master of Exercise Science and Rehabilitation (or Equivalent)/Master of Physiotherapy or equivalent

- PHD Exercise Science/Physiology or PHD of Physiotherapy or Equivalent

The better the qualification the greater the knowledge. And Medical Doctors often overstep their boundaries

I confused!

Yes listen to your doctor but they shouldn't be leaving the realm of practice. A Medical Doctor should not be prescribing any exercises, UNLESS they are aware of specifics that is best for treatment of a condition. BUT should NOT be prescribing general stretches or exercises for anything else unless they have further qualifications that gives them that knowledge.

- Bachelor of Exercise Science and Human Movement (or Equivalent)/Bachelor of Physiotheraphy

- Master of Exercise Science and Rehabilitation (or Equivalent)/Master of Physiotherapy or equivalent

The better the qualification the greater the knowledge. And Medical Doctors often overstep their boundaries

I've never considered that in the past because, well, I just haven't. I, not being in any medicine field, suspected that a doctor can prescribe anything because, well, they're the doctor, and who am I?

I confused!

I've never considered that in the past because, well, I just haven't. I, not being in any medicine field, suspected that a doctor can prescribe anything because, well, they're the doctor, and who am I?

Thats where they get you because doctors often do it because they think they know everything about everything. They do not get the required training to be able to prescribe or train in exercise. All they can legally do unless they have that extra training through university do one of those kind of degrees mentioned previously, is to treat any physical ailments through treatment. They cannot provide injury rehabilitation nor advice in regards to exercise prescription. As they are required to abide by their scope of practice and shouldn't go outside of it and open themselves to a lawsuit if they go outside of it.

IN that regards they can only refer to a Physiotherapist or similar. Although Exercise Scientists and Exercise Physiologists have a better understanding of exercise prescription and how to apply exercise as a method of treatment. As you will find that you would yield better results seeing one of those two over a physiotherapist.

Having a practitioner that is either a Physiotherapist, Exercise Scientist or Physiologist + Osteopath (can prescribe stretching) are better equipped to deal with such things.

So it is understandable for many people to believe that doctors can prescribe anything because they're doctors. But unfortunately not true. For example it is like a Police Officer to tell a person that they will serve 30 days in jail for an illegal behaviour and have them convicted instead of having a judge convict them of that. And the Officer does that because they have some understanding of the Law.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the kind of question that some empirical data should help you answer. Do perhaps 6 months of stretching, and hold it only for a prescribed amount of time, say, the 10 second hold. Record your progress. Next set of 6 months, hold the stretches for longer, and record the progress.