• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's in your Dojo?

muttley

Our dojo is bare bones. 1 heavy bag, a few large rectangular striking pads (don't know what they're called), some food away mats, and a bunch of weapons.

To quote my CI, "we're a small club."

I haven't seen anyone hit the heavy bag, other than my CI when I'm the first one in before the first class. Not sure if the advanced classes use it or not.

But I've always wondered when I see pics of dojos with heavy bags - do you hit them during normal class times, are there specific scheduled classes that focus on them, such as a conditioning class, or are they only used during open floor times?

My old dojo had a heavy bag that we could hit during open floor times. Never used it during formal classes during the six years I was there. Same for the freestanding bags, but we'd use them in a specific conditioning class where there wasn't much instruction; it was kind of like (I hate to say it!) cardio karate class, only we'd strike much harder, not at such a fast pace, and do specific kumite stuff.

Gotta get my own heavy bag.

We use it mostly before class. There is a class of using proper technique to the bags as an actual dummy of sorts. Other times when we had a few kids we used freestanding as kind of a "fun time" for the kid to keep interest type things. I wish we had more time and could put a regular time for using the bags. I personally like using them to work on proper technique and actually hitting something. Yet I am weird. For now they are every so often class time (after kihon, kata, and kumite or in place of kumite).

I'm kind of mixed on whether I want to hit a heavy bag or not during class (not counting a formal/scheduled conditioning class). I don't go to the dojo to "workout." Yes, I get a good workout through kumite, kihon, etc., but I go to learn. I wouldn't join a dojo that did a lot of cardio or even strengthening stuff. I want to learn. I'd join a group exercise class like Crossfit if I wanted the group workout.

I look at it as class time is learning time, and open floor time can be hitting a bag time.

Maybe I'm just weird. I have no problem with anyone thinking differently than I do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our dojo is bare bones. 1 heavy bag, a few large rectangular striking pads (don't know what they're called), some food away mats, and a bunch of weapons.

I haven't seen anyone hit the heavy bag, other than my CI when I'm the first one in before the first class. Not sure if the advanced classes use it or not.

But I've always wondered when I see pics of dojos with heavy bags - do you hit them during normal class times, are there specific scheduled classes that focus on them, such as a conditioning class, or are they only used during open floor times?

My old dojo had a heavy bag that we could hit during open floor times. Never used it during formal classes during the six years I was there. Same for the freestanding bags, but we'd use them in a specific conditioning class where there wasn't much instruction; it was kind of like (I hate to say it!) cardio karate class, only we'd strike much harder, not at such a fast pace, and do specific kumite stuff.

We use it mostly before class. There is a class of using proper technique to the bags as an actual dummy of sorts. Other times when we had a few kids we used freestanding as kind of a "fun time" for the kid to keep interest type things. I wish we had more time and could put a regular time for using the bags. I personally like using them to work on proper technique and actually hitting something. Yet I am weird. For now they are every so often class time (after kihon, kata, and kumite or in place of kumite).

I'm kind of mixed on whether I want to hit a heavy bag or not during class (not counting a formal/scheduled conditioning class). I don't go to the dojo to "workout." Yes, I get a good workout through kumite, kihon, etc., but I go to learn. I wouldn't join a dojo that did a lot of cardio or even strengthening stuff. I want to learn. I'd join a group exercise class like Crossfit if I wanted the group workout.

I look at it as class time is learning time, and open floor time can be hitting a bag time.

Maybe I'm just weird. I have no problem with anyone thinking differently than I do.

I'm with you JR, our dojo is a high school gym, we (our karate club) have a heavy bag there, but it doesn't get used during class, maybe a play around beforehand while waiting for everyone to finish their stretching. I have my own at home for those sorts of sessions.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

I'm with you JR, our dojo is a high school gym, we (our karate club) have a heavy bag there, but it doesn't get used during class, maybe a play around beforehand while waiting for everyone to finish their stretching. I have my own at home for those sorts of sessions.

I feel like I explained that wrong. We only do this once in a blue moon. I was just trying to explain what we do when we use it. My sense is like you guys that believes mostly in the 3 k's of martial arts. We honestly do the basics streches, some basic pe level pushups/situps/etc for warmup and kihon and kata and kumite make up most the class time at this time.

As for the use in class I personally think it should be done a little more than my dojo does. I personally have found that working out is part of what I consider my way of karate. To improve ones mind (kata, kihon, sparing) and body(working out, kata, Kihon, Sparing). Sorry for any misspellings its been a long night. I do love seeing everyone reasons for why so I can completely understand Jr.

Also I personally don't believe anyone is truely normal. That would make the world a boring place :)

I feel like I said personally to much sorry. Just trying to say that its in my opinion and I am tired.

Two training areas a large one and a smaller room. The larger area has wrestling mats that we have the students train on. Plus the main area has carpet as that makes it easier for people to perform kata. Mirror along the walls so students can see their techniques. Also in the main training area are wavemasters, some other heavybags, plus a boxing ring. In the other room is where we keep the handshields, plus it also has mats.

Teachers are always learning

For a small club we have a pretty well stocked dojo. In our HQ the hall is fairly small with a sprung wooden floor and mirrors at one end. Equipment-wise we have just about everything you could need: A pile of heavy duty non slip wrestling/judo mats, several punch bags ranging in size weight and shape, a bully bob dummy, coach spar gloves, focus mitts, spare boxing gloves (for new guys that don't have them, but they're pretty smelly, so folk buy their own pretty quickly :brow: ) Thai pads, striking pads of various sizes also, yoga mats, weights for barbell/dumbbell, small hand weight for building punching power, a set of TRX style suspension straps and a small wooden Gym bench for step ups.

At a hall our hall in the next town there is nothing except crash mats that the owner permits us to use, and we just bring any equipment needed from HQ. For the size of our club we have more equipment than clubs 4 or 5 times our size within the federation. Our instructor puts every penny that he receives (minus hall rental) back into the club, so we are very lucky in that sense. Students also from time to time donate unwanted equipment or even buy stuff to give to the club. We are a pretty tight knit unit so if we discover something new, we tend to share it with everyone.

Be water, my friend.

This is ours:

https://goo.gl/photos/vGWZKPjE3AioCzEU7

Spent over 10 years training out of school halls and community centres. Now have a fully matted centre. We've got 3 heavy bags set up. Loads of kick shields, thai pads and focus mitts and holder stand for breaking materials. Plus all the extra bits like skipping ropes, medicine balls, and dumbells / kettle bells.

As to the use of the heavy bag in class, we mostly use it in free time before and after to do what we want. Or if there is an odd number during partner work, we rotate who's working combos on the bag.

Edited by DWx

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Danielle,

I love the brightness of the room, and of course, the wide openness as well. Your dojang seems to have all of the comforts of a very well stocked dojang. Your instructor put some serious thought as to what was needed versus what was wanted.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Here's a few more: https://goo.gl/photos/fgYSDhbtMqdeRcL27

It's pretty nice. Top floor of an old hosiery factory opposite the entrance to one of the major supermarkets in town. My dad is an architect and actually helped with some of the design; we have a small waiting area, changing rooms and toilets, kitchen and office area at the back. Most of the equipment we've built up over time and all the bags were donated.

Edit: fixed the link :D

Edited by DWx

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius