• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA uniforms as Street wear

I've had the same idea. Normal jeans, work pants, shorts etc with the diamond shaped extra cloth in the crotch so you can have full range of motion.

Self Defense pants for the street. Love the idea and would be all over it.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big and tall company "King Size" has been selling what they call "Judo Shorts" for a while now. It seems they are just styled after judo shorts; I don't think they are actually gi bottoms. Nonetheless, I'd love for an excuse to wear my gi (or even cooler, a hakama) around town. :)

Van

They are pretty comfy. Though I'd definitely want black or some other colour, white would just be a nightmare to keep clean.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've had the same idea. Normal jeans, work pants, shorts etc with the diamond shaped extra cloth in the crotch so you can have full range of motion.

Self Defense pants for the street. Love the idea and would be all over it.

There were blue jeans marketed buy Chuck Norris sold by Century in the 1980's that had this very concept.

WildBourgMan

I love the idea. I just need on with at least 1 pocket though. Just my personal preference. Yet I love this idea.

You're in luck. Century MA Supply Company out of Oklahoma City, OK has gi pants that come with at least 1 pocket. I also believe that AWMA out of Philadelphia, PA also has gi pants that come with at least 1 pocket. In addition, Century MA Supply Company also has "gi" pants that are Jeans with about 4 pockets with a built in gusset like a normal gi has, and, Chuck Norris modeled them for Century MA Supply Company in their catalog when they first hit the market.

:)

Sweet. I need to buy me a pair or 2 just for normal training. That way I feel right while driving my car.

On a note about stains. Yeah have to go with a darker color gi for risk of stains.

There were blue jeans marketed buy Chuck Norris sold by Century in the 1980's that had this very concept.

I remember those ads, jeans for kickin' or some such pitch.

You would need the big sideburns for maximum effect.....

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

• 3 weeks later...

Not particularly fond of the idea of wearing any martial arts clothing or martial arts themed apparel. Judging by the wide variety of items available from suppliers such as Century, the idea seems to appeal to some people.

My interest in and practise of martial arts is not something which I care to advertise, flaunt or make obvious for all to see. I might wear part of a gi or something with the dojo logo, but only at specific times and never as regular clothing. Having said this, free range of motion and comfort are definitely how I choose my regular clothes. With obvious exceptions, I refuse to wear any clothes that might restrict my movement or get caught. I especially loathe tight collars, neckties and suits with jackets.

Not particularly fond of the idea of wearing any martial arts clothing or martial arts themed apparel. Judging by the wide variety of items available from suppliers such as Century, the idea seems to appeal to some people.

My interest in and practise of martial arts is not something which I care to advertise, flaunt or make obvious for all to see. I might wear part of a gi or something with the dojo logo, but only at specific times and never as regular clothing. Having said this, free range of motion and comfort are definitely how I choose my regular clothes. With obvious exceptions, I refuse to wear any clothes that might restrict my movement or get caught. I especially loathe tight collars, neckties and suits with jackets.

I think the idea to wear stuff outside the dojo was about comfort and mobility, not about advertising.

Something I haven't seen, though I'm sure has to exist somewhere is a gi top t-shirt, kind of like the tuxedo t-shirt. I'd buy a Cobra Kai looking one, just because it's Cobra Kai.

Speaking of Cohra Kai t-shirts, 80sTs.com has some really cool Karate Kid t-shirts, and other things. No affiliation whatsoever, and I haven't bought anything from them.

What a great idea!

Somehow, I don't think this would be as common as tennis, football etc.

I think one of the main issues is that people have a lack of understanding about the 'art'.

What a statement it would make though.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi