• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reason you heard why "we don't wash our belts?"

Whether you wash your belt or you don't wash your belt isn't the issue of this thread. For those of you who were told to not wash your belt, I'm curious about what was the story (or reason given) that you were told as to WHY we shouldn't wash your belt. Here are the things I was told:

Story #1 from my first Taekwondo master (a Korean man). No story...just don't do it. So, I didn't.

Story #2 from my second master (an American woman). She said, "the legend goes 'all your pain, wisdom & knowledge go into your belt. If you wash it, all of those things will go away."" She laughed as we all smiled. She then said, "so that's why don't wash them. Kind of funny, right?"

What story were you told as to why we "shouldn't" wash our belts? We you given a reason at all?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story #2 from my second master (an American woman). She said, "the legend goes 'all your pain, wisdom & knowledge go into your belt. If you wash it, all of those things will go away."" She laughed as we all smiled. She then said, "so that's why don't wash them. Kind of funny, right?"

This is essentially the reasoning presented to me. "All your hard work will wash off with the dirt."

There are many arguments out there about how unsafe this practice is healthwise, but I practice shotokan karate, where we don't practice a lot of grappling.

If I practiced judo or BJJ or even an Okinawan style of karate, the story may be different.

But, it's indescribably uncommon for anyone to come into contact with my belt.

I follow the ways of my sensei(s) as closely as possible.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

At my first dojo, I was told the myth about your experience and hard work being washed out of the belt. At my current dojo, I was told that it was a matter of respect for what the belt represents. In judo, though, I was told that it should be washed with my dogi to prevent the spread of skin infections. With as much grappling and close-in fighting as we do, I always tell people to wash their belts--I even made a YouTube video about it :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I can't imagine that any Judo, BJJ or any other grappling Art would tell students to not wash one's belt. I think the "don't wash it" idea is purely a stand up Art concept.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

We were told the "there were only white belts to begin with, and it turned black over time by the sweat, dirt, blood, etc that the belt accumulated over the years of training, eventually turned it black." So if you washed it, it was like starting over.

Likewise, we were told to keep it off the floor for the same reason; on the floor, its "earning dirt" for not doing anything.

:roll:

Ever earned a belt and worn it in class? Sure, well ever notice how dirty it got from being on the mat? The sweat and dirt show your rank more then the color. Some styles use tape to show stripes on their black belts. There is a Tang Soo Do School near me that gives you one black belt until you become 4th dan, which is master level in most Tang Soo Do factions. They use tape on the ends to show their dan stripes for first second and third. Overtime their belts begin to look very raggedy. I do not do that with my belts as we have them embroidered in but I have thought about it.

Anyways, it is the same idea as having a dirty color belt in my opinion. It's not the hard work that will magically disappear, it is the visible dirt and sweat marks that show your hard work!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

We got told to wash our belts but be careful with how you do it. Firstly soak it in cold water in case of any residual dye. Thereafter wash in cold water only to stop the inner core from shrinking.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

at my dojo and old one as well we tell our students not to wash the belts because the brand that they have can't be washed because the quality of the belt will be degraded or will shrink.

But we also have been told that it takes away that reminder of where you have been during your training and life.

We were told both the "white belt becoming green then brown then black" story as well as the "wash away your knowledge and hard work" story, but both were presented as myths.

Of course, that didn't stop my 8-year-old self from believing them with my whole heart.

Now, however, I wash my belt.