• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gis and undershirts

When I did judo, no one wore undershirts, they already got tangled up. All of my BJJ friends wear rash guards. In Karate, it seems about 50%/50% for males. Women is most MA classes tend to wear at shirts, for obvious reasons. but what are your thoughts on men wearing undershirts under your gi?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have some who do, but most do not. I always wear UnderArmour, which works quite well for me. Honestly, I'm not sure why everyone doesn't wear a rashguard or UnderArmour under their gi.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I had to google rashguard, never heard of one before. Personally I don't wear anything under the uwagi and I can happily skid across the matting all night without needing anything to protect me under my gi. Around here we can get a fifteen degree change from one day to the next in summer so if we get a sudden hot snap I sometimes train in just a white vest I got from an MMA supplier (although more usually a sleeveless uwagi). Maybe I have a tough hide but I have never seen the need for anything under my gi, heavyweight canvas gis chafe a little at first but the skin soon hardens up where it needs to.

I had to google rashguard, never heard of one before. Personally I don't wear anything under the uwagi and I can happily skid across the matting all night without needing anything to protect me under my gi. Around here we can get a fifteen degree change from one day to the next in summer so if we get a sudden hot snap I sometimes train in just a white vest I got from an MMA supplier (although more usually a sleeveless uwagi). Maybe I have a tough hide but I have never seen the need for anything under my gi, heavyweight canvas gis chafe a little at first but the skin soon hardens up where it needs to.

I wear UnderArmour for the moisture wicking and cooling benefit, rather than the skin protection. Phoenix is hot, and overheating is bad :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

As a female, I always wear a shirt under my gi (just a plain t-shirt-- usually black). We require all our kids to wear shirts under their gis for modesty and hygiene reasons (we don't trust them to wash their uniforms as often as we'd like). Male adults have the choice, though they all choose to wear shirts.

When I did Judo, most males chose not to wear anything under their gi tops while the females were required to wear plain white shirts for modesty.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with sports bras under gis for those who choose to in an adult class. The vast majority of sports bras cover more than the vast majority of bikini tops, and those seem fine for modesty in most people's eyes.

I personally wear a shirt under my gi and most of my fellow students do to at my dojo. There is a couple who don't though. Mostly up to the individual.

As in anything, it's a personal choice. I always wear a undershirt/t-shirt under my gi top because I don't like the feeling of skin to material. As far as my students are concerned, I don't enforce any rule pertaining to the wearing of undershirts; wear one or don't wear one, which goes back to it being a personal choice.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think (as previously mentioned), it depends mostly on the club. However, I think it also depends on the style. I'm a female who practices karate, and I don't wear a shirt under my gi, the same as my instructors and the other adults I train with. However, my style of karate (Shito Ryu), means that we do a lot of standing techniques, and very little throws/groundwork, so my gi stays more or less in place. If I spent more time doing groundwork, I would probably wear a shirt underneath for modesty.

It's not about the medals you win, it's about how much you improve.

• 2 weeks later...