• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Exasperated shoulder pain

My right shoulder has been known to give me trouble from time to time, but it was nothing serious. I has a boxer and judoka for years in my younger days. Now I'm 30 and taking karate with my son after being out of spade and out of practice for quite some time.

And my right shoulder is really acting up after a few weeks of karate. I think it's the push-ups and other calisthenics that so it. It's a dull ache, like a bruise, it hurts when I raise my arm above should level or when I cross it over my body or pull it back far enough. When I palpate the area, the soreness seems to be centered in the front of the acromion process, and goes up my sore to towards my neck.

Anyone ever have similar pain? Any idea what this pain is from, and any good home remedies to help alievate the pain?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I imagine you have probably damaged your rotator cuff, but that's only because some of what you describe is like what I have experienced with that injury. You should really get it checked out by a doctor--they may give you anti-inflammatories and a physical therapy regimen that can help.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Just want to get a quick history if possible (pm me if private).

Have you previously experienced this pain in any other form of physical activity/martial art? Are you also currently physically active outside of karate?

When did you notice that you had a limited range of motion + pain? during class, at home etc

I ask these because the pain you are experiencing are commonly associated with impingement or bursitis in the joint. Ironically the pain you are describing was something from one of my recent examinations for injury prevention.

Best way forward is to get to a doctor to diagnose the injury, but do know that many medical doctors aren't experienced or knowledgable in injuries like this. So physiotherapists, exercise physiologists usually have a better idea of what the problem is. NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs), application of RICER (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate, Referral), Physical therapy (Physiotherapists, Exercise Physiologists are recommended)

But I don't personally recommend a Home Remedy is the best way to go about this because it can lead to issues later down the path.

Also just note I have seen many doctors internationally (I am often prone to injuries when I travel overseas) that try and give a rehabilitation regime to you when it is obviously outside of their scope of practice. So make sure if you go to a doctor you request a referral to a medical practitioner that does do rehabilitation as a primary source of care. Unless your doctor is qualified to practice in rehabilitation + diagnosis.

Yes, this isn't the first time my right shoulder alone just starts hurting. Guess I'm just old enough to actually care about it now. I've done Boxing and Judo in the past, and this did occur.

Probably the day after the 2nd class of the week was when I noticed it.

Thanks for the advice. If this persists, I'll definatelly get a referral for a sports medicine doc or ortho to look at this. I'm getting too old to just ignore possible injuries.

Yes, this isn't the first time my right shoulder alone just starts hurting. Guess I'm just old enough to actually care about it now. I've done Boxing and Judo in the past, and this did occur.

Probably the day after the 2nd class of the week was when I noticed it.

Thanks for the advice. If this persists, I'll definatelly get a referral for a sports medicine doc or ortho to look at this. I'm getting too old to just ignore possible injuries.

If this has occurred previously then you should go, and not let it persist for longer. because there could be a structural issue

I imagine you have probably damaged your rotator cuff, but that's only because some of what you describe is like what I have experienced with that injury. You should really get it checked out by a doctor--they may give you anti-inflammatories and a physical therapy regimen that can help.

It could be this, or another possibility is shoulder impingement. I had that, and had to have an operation done. I don't bench press right now because of that. Get it looked at, and see what the docs think. If the pain ranges from one area to another, to could be nerve related, as well.