• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bag work

Judodad_karateson

While we are talking heavy bags, I use the compression type fingerless gloves instead of wraps when I do heavy bag work, They are supposed to support the wrist etc. Not sure how good this is for me, considering I also use a Makiwara.

My bag work is pretty straightforward, combinations and kicking for power and speed.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To explain my logic; research indicates it takes about 3 weeks for a new habit to form. So every month, I choose a "habit" I want to form regarding a kata and a basic technique, and although I do not neglect any element of my training, I place extra effort towards that habit forming. It might sound unusual but I find it works for me regarding improvement.

I really like this idea. I bet you can use it with a lot of things.

It is very useful if you have a habit you want to displace; instead of attempting to distinguish the habit, decide on a new benign or beneficial habit and focus on practicing that when ever the circumstances of the negative habit arise. Not a perfect method, but very useful.

R. Keith Williams

I personally love using a punching bag to try my techniques on. I think it is good to have something to test and feel if you have and power and proper use of each hitting/kicking technique.

Just how I feel about any punching bag.

For the speed bag I haven't personally had access to one so I can't judge one way or another.

We have a couple of heavy bags at class (and a usually neglected speed bag). Personally I do use the heavy bag for technique practice (both upper and lower body strikes).

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Punch bag is a great tool and training partner , it will tell you how good your strikes are so you would know that if that was a real person how effective your strike would be .

we can't do that with our training partners in the dojo and we have to control our blows .

I always kind of mostly worked on two or three or four combinations of technique on the bag and mainly focused on delivering a fast and powerful technique to cause as much damage , always looking for a killing blow or ippon in my mind .

Those combinations could be anything from punches to elbow strikes to kicks and knee kicks ,from close range to mid and long range ,long range could be a stepping punch ,followed by other strikes ,coming in at different angles .

I left other parts for the dojo and working with a live partner , it is also very important how and when to deliver your striked and avoid getting hit back ,that can only practiced effectively with a live partner .

never give up !

Thanks guy! Follow up question:

I was a boxer for a number of years, and I still hit the bag for fitness purposes. Will hitting the bag with the drills I used as a boxer have any impact (positive or negative) on my Karate? I'm sure it will help with fitness and power, but how boxers punch is somewhat different from how Karateka punch. Will sticking to the punching I know cause problems with my technique, as I'm still fairly new to karate?

Thanks guy! Follow up question:

I was a boxer for a number of years, and I still hit the bag for fitness purposes. Will hitting the bag with the drills I used as a boxer have any impact (positive or negative) on my Karate? I'm sure it will help with fitness and power, but how boxers punch is somewhat different from how Karateka punch. Will sticking to the punching I know cause problems with my technique, as I'm still fairly new to karate?

I don't think it would have any negative impact , the punches are not that different ,maybe just the way we breath in and out during punching ,once you get a bit more training in karate and advance further you will notice the punches are not that different .

never give up !

Seeing as we are on the subject of heavy bags, I've been trying to find a heavy bag for a while, but I'm kinda limited on space plus I've only found vinyl bags at most sporting goods stores. What would you guys suggest?

"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee