• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No equipment training for lower body

The lower body and especially the legs are often neglected or given only secondary attention in strength building. However, in martial arts these groups are the most important for generating power and to create a strong stable base for all techniques.

Without the use of weights or any equipment whatever, what kind of exercises can be done to increase strength and endurance in the lower body and legs? Any suggestions for use in limited space such as a living room or bedroom?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Squats (both legs + single leg) - as they are a body weight exercise. I often use my fiance when she is home and hold her on my shoulders and squat. Obviously with her consent.

Box Jumps - Can be used if you are able to jump onto something. MUST be something that is stable and that you can land on properly.

Dynamic Lunges - Lunges whilst moving if you have the space

Plyometric Lunges - Like a regular lunge but when you come up you explode up and switch. But need space because you could fall over.

Romanian Deadlifts - google what it looks like, but it is a hip dominant exercise. Great for when you have done the shopping!

Deadlifts - Same google it if you are unsure of what they look like. But now a knee dominant exercise, also great if you have a lot of shopping done.

Endurance often is included in certain exercises. But you can actually do the exercises as mentioned above but you can do a lower weight at a higher repetition range. Even regular body weight exercises you can still do more reps past what you can do comfortably.

Deadlifts shouldn't be a knee-dominant exercise, I should be a back/hams dominant exercise. The knees shouldn't be affected too much. But I'm thinking of it in the barbell version.

I think all the exercises Nidan Melbourne mentioned would be good substitutes for leg work.

Deadlifts shouldn't be a knee-dominant exercise, I should be a back/hams dominant exercise. The knees shouldn't be affected too much. But I'm thinking of it in the barbell version.

I think all the exercises Nidan Melbourne mentioned would be good substitutes for leg work.

The Deadlift is a knee dominant exercise because the knees are the major joint moving (moving the greatest). But it does activate the gluteals, hamstrings and a certain amount the quadriceps. If you are bending with your back and then straightening it then there can be a risk that you can injure yourself. That is why you have to squat down and then straighten.

Deadlifts yes you straighten your back but the musculature in the back (Latissimus Dorsi, Trapezius, Erector Spinae etc) you don't use as much. Because this exercise is basically a squat with resistance.

The deadlifts I am familiar with involved lifting some kind of weight. Unless there is a similar thing without weights or any material. The only two things done regularly at the dojo are laps of duck-walk and reps of up/down in shiko dachi with a partner standing on top in Naihanchi dachi between 70-100 times. I need ideas to perform alone, I limited space and with nothing.

Check out these workouts: https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos?keywords=&minlength=0&maxlength=0&minburn=0&maxburn=0&focus[]=3&equipment[]=26

I love Fitness Blender. I'm currently on week 6 of an 8 week fat burning routine with them. All of their workouts for free, but you can pay a small amount for a routine built using their exercises. Most of their exercises use only dumb bells, so they are really convenient. I'm definitely seeing the results.

The link I posted above uses their great search feature where you can select the area of the body you want, what equipment you have (including no equipment). When you open it, you can select things like minimum/maximum minutes, calorie burn and the difficulty level.

It's an amazing resource!

Patrick

Dynamic Lunges - Lunges whilst moving if you have the space

THESE!!! Definitely these! We done them up and down the hall last week, done them for a minute at a time for around 10-15 mins. Safe to say I could absolutely "feel the burn" at the time and for several days after. :D

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

The Deadlift is a knee dominant exercise because the knees are the major joint moving (moving the greatest). But it does activate the gluteals, hamstrings and a certain amount the quadriceps. If you are bending with your back and then straightening it then there can be a risk that you can injure yourself. That is why you have to squat down and then straighten.

Deadlifts yes you straighten your back but the musculature in the back (Latissimus Dorsi, Trapezius, Erector Spinae etc) you don't use as much. Because this exercise is basically a squat with resistance.

Well, then it sounds like its being redefined, then. The deadlift, as a barbell exercise, is one of the greatest exercises you can do with the lower back, and its an exercise that lacks a stretch reflex, which is why its such hard lift to do. If the deadlift, as a barbell exercise, is performed properly, its done with the back quite horizontal to the ground, and the knees do very little work in the exercise.

In fact, I'd say that the "knees do the work" is incorrect, because the knees are merely one of the joints that moves through its range of motion the act of lifting the weight. The muscles do the work, not the knees.

Here's a video on how to do the deadlift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

The deadlift is not a squat with the bar in the hands, its a pull from the floor. The knees really don't get too involved, not anywhere near like they do in a properly performed squat.

Well, then it sounds like its being redefined, then. The deadlift, as a barbell exercise, is one of the greatest exercises you can do with the lower back, and its an exercise that lacks a stretch reflex, which is why its such hard lift to do. If the deadlift, as a barbell exercise, is performed properly, its done with the back quite horizontal to the ground, and the knees do very little work in the exercise.

In fact, I'd say that the "knees do the work" is incorrect, because the knees are merely one of the joints that moves through its range of motion the act of lifting the weight. The muscles do the work, not the knees.

Here's a video on how to do the deadlift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

The deadlift is not a squat with the bar in the hands, its a pull from the floor. The knees really don't get too involved, not anywhere near like they do in a properly performed squat.

Ahhh as much as the muscles are having to work to perform the movement, we look at in the physiology world are which joint is moving hence why i said it is a knee dominant. Even if it is using muscles in lower back, it is still classified as such.

I am coming from an Exercise Science/Physiologist perspective on this, as we regularly have clients perform such an exercise. The other closest way you can classify it is a vertical pull exercise as you are pulling it up towards you from the ground. The best way to describe Exercise Science/Physiologist is a Physiotherapist, Personal Trainer and a Researcher all in one.

To the bold If your knees don't get involved then the movement is not completed even if you only complete a 1/4 squat for the movement which for some people is enough to complete a lift.

in this video he has a 1/4 squat when grabbing the bar and when going into the "up" phase of the exercise hips drive forwards into the exercise.

Because any exercise you perform where the bar starts on the ground you have to perform a squat (even if not a 'complete' squat). Because squatting down gets your body into that state where it is going to be stable and stronger than just bending at the hips.

Also to be a nitpicky about that video that you kindly shared was partly incorrect because the coach incorrectly taught it and also the lady that was demonstrating the exercise had a few errors in technique that the coach did not correct. Especially in regards to the rounding of her shoulders (no/little rounding should be present) and the arch in her back as well appeared to be 'flat'. What the coach should have been doing was demonstrating it himself to show correct and safe technique. But it is often ignored by those who do crossfit because they go for high intensity and fast all whilst not looking at technique.

That video was pretty brief, but that coach has taught the deadlift, along with other power lifts, for quite a few years. He is not affiliated with CrossFit anymore, either. Here is a better video of how he teaches the deadlift, but its a bit longer:

I would be willing to bet that he would have been correcting the technique issues in the first video, if the whole thing was recorded. Her back didn't appear to be that rounded to me, with her later reps. The second video is a bit more detailed, and that issued is addressed.

You are right, the knees do have to bend to get involved in the deadlift. I'm not disputing that. I just think that referring to it as a knee exercise doesn't do justice to what the exercise is.