• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Martial Arts Story

My Winless Victory

My foot pads are on, hand pads strapped, and mouth guard in. I go to the middle of the ring reeking of intimidation. We touch gloves and the fight begins. Two minutes, that is all the time a fighter has to prove themselves in sport taekwondo sanctioned fights. If you’re lucky, you last the two minutes, but many times the fight ends early on the mercy rule meaning your opponent has scored so many points it is deemed impossible for you to catch up. Here I am at sixteen years old, in the finals of the biggest tournament in North America known as Diamond Nationals. I’m exhausted, barely surviving and my entire body is glued to the mat.

Fighting is my obsession. I am addicted to the speed and intensity that is unmatched anywhere else in life. I have traveled across the country only to lose in the first round. I have won tournaments that are ten miles away. For me, a competition is a competition and I’m willing to go anywhere to bang it out in the ring.

With thirty seconds left, the universe became one and all the stars aligned. I was down 3-1 and I scored off of a bad call. He clearly blocked my hand technique but I gladly took the point. Fifteen seconds left and I stole lead! I stopped for a second and imagined myself hoisting the trophy up. That was all he needed to score. It was the end of regulation and we were tied at 4-4.

Overtime is simple, the first person to score wins the fight. My primal instincts kicked in and muscle memory took over. I had done this a million times and didn’t allow myself to feel depressed about letting him score in the final seconds. I scored twenty seconds into overtime with a fade away kick, it was too easy. I wouldn’t have had it any other way: overtime against a top contender ending with my most successful technique. I won Diamond Nationals! A sudden joy overtook my body like nothing I have ever felt before. The crowd looked shocked and a look of disbelief consumed my opponent. I had no cheering section at the beginning of the fight but the applause and emphatic cheers during the trophy presentation was overwhelming. I am the 2014 Class A (stands for amateur) lightweight Diamond Nationals champion in the eighteen to twenty-nine year old division. I just won a national championship.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum!

I wholeheartedly concur!! Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...