• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Loose uncontrollable ankles

Ankle braces/supports!! They help me. About $10 or so at Wal-Mart!! :)

Ankle braces are a great tool for assistance in stabilization especially after an injury. But the concern is that it is masking the issue of ankle issues and these actually increase the risk of knee injuries.

So you would need to work on ankle stability as a weaker ankle joint leads to an increased risk of injury especially with kicks.

Point well made!! I use them for support so that I won't become injured! This was my idea, and not a doctors!!

:)

I understand that you use them for prevention, but the risk is that you will actually injure yourself somewhere up the kinetic chain (ankles - knees - hips - spine - neck) and most commonly in the knee.

Do you train your ankles as well or not at all and go for the ankle brace instead? Was the idea of wearing them more prevention of injury or because you feel like you can't trust your ankles as you used to?

The ankle takes a long of shock in when moving, jumping and landing then the knee also does the same. By you restricting that ability, that is why the shock travels to the next joint in the line.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Ankle braces/supports!! They help me. About $10 or so at Wal-Mart!! :)

Ankle braces are a great tool for assistance in stabilization especially after an injury. But the concern is that it is masking the issue of ankle issues and these actually increase the risk of knee injuries.

So you would need to work on ankle stability as a weaker ankle joint leads to an increased risk of injury especially with kicks.

Point well made!! I use them for support so that I won't become injured! This was my idea, and not a doctors!!

I understand that you use them for prevention, but the risk is that you will actually injure yourself somewhere up the kinetic chain (ankles - knees - hips - spine - neck) and most commonly in the knee.

Do you train your ankles as well or not at all and go for the ankle brace instead? Was the idea of wearing them more prevention of injury or because you feel like you can't trust your ankles as you used to?

The ankle takes a long of shock in when moving, jumping and landing then the knee also does the same. By you restricting that ability, that is why the shock travels to the next joint in the line.

Like I said, it was MY idea, and not my doctor. My doctor's have said the same things that you have, but, none of my doctors have advised me to forgo them either.

I suppose that I wear them more as a security blanket, and yes, that's a dumb reason to do so. Yet, I've not been injured because I've worn them. I do train my ankles, just as much as any part of my body.

I do trust my ankles; wholeheartedly!! How's the saying go?...An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of a cure!! In my tiny mind, I believe that I'm protecting myself. Like wearing an elbow pad and a knee pad. I don't need them, but I'll wear them if I believe that they'll help/protect me one way or another.

I was once told that wearing a back brace weakens the back. My doctor said that's true, but only if you're wearing it while walking. Wear the back brace when you're going to be lifting, but one has to lift properly first. A friend of mine, back in Owasso, OK works at Whirlpool, and he was told that he couldn't wear a back brace at Whirlpool per what I spoke about the brace making the back weak, but how can an OSHA approved back brace not be allowed, because his job entails lifting while at work.

Anyway, I'm babbling, sorry!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Have you tried exercising with Tetsu Geta or leg weights, or maybe leg lifts with kettlebells? Often weak ankles aren't literally weak ankles, but a weakness in ones form; weakness in the ankles can evolve from a weakness in the calf, or even as far up as the glutes. I would suggest perhaps trying exercises such as Hindu squats, and static stretching (especially PNF) after training.

I only suggest this because it sounds like you actually have very strong ankles, and the weakness in the ankles is evolving from some where else. Maybe hyper acting ham-strings? Could be a lack of balance in your upper leg muscles; very common for martial artists.

R. Keith Williams

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of good exercises posted in the runners' world link.

One that I didn't see (maybe it was there) is putting an exercise band around your kicking ankle and do low kicks. Attach the band to a low place like a table leg. Do front, side and back kicks. Make sure the band is tight throughout the entire movement, and the band is directly pulling against you - turn sideways when doing a side kick, face the object holding the band when kicking backward. The kicks don't have to be textbook kicks; you're strengthening the plant foot, not the kicking foot.

In my sports medicine days, I'd have all my athletes with new and chronic ankle problems do this. I also did slideboard, airex pads and bosu ball stuff, but when I started adding this, the results were far better.

Rule of thumb - work through soreness and tightness. If it causes actual pain, stop and/or alter the movement.

If I can find a video or something close, I'll post a link.

Have you tried exercising with Tetsu Geta or leg weights, or maybe leg lifts with kettlebells? Often weak ankles aren't literally weak ankles, but a weakness in ones form; weakness in the ankles can evolve from a weakness in the calf, or even as far up as the glutes.

I only suggest this because it sounds like you actually have very strong ankles, and the weakness in the ankles is evolving from some where else. Maybe hyper acting ham-strings? Could be a lack of balance in your upper leg muscles; very common for martial artists.

This seems to make sense and I doubt the problem is just the ankles. What exactly is the description of hyper active ham strings? How does this make the ankles/feet feel limp when kicking?

Sorry for the late reply; only noticed your question when I accidentally clicked view your topics.

If you suffer lower back pain, or a history of leg strains; then this might be your cause. Overactive hamstrings essentially leave your hamstrings "tight" constantly, so that any movement you do regarding the legs really works them. Now, this can be reflected in kicks, as this tightness will make it difficult to flex and access the calf muscles. The calf muscles are what hold the ankles strong, and if the calf muscles are already over worked, and you then attempt to push them further, you cannot get the results desired. Hence why I suspect the problem might be in the hamstrings, as if it is specifically during kicks, then it is a whole leg issue.

R. Keith Williams

Sometimes my legs feel very heavy or sore but that is probably because I train a minimum of five days a week and everyday if I can manage it. Besides normal soreness that comes and goes, I have no history of injuries or chronic pain in any part of my legs or back.

You are probably over-training by the sounds of it, with regards to this particular area. Might I suggest leg work every other day; and more emphasis on good stance work (avoiding collapsing knees) and excises such as squats. Might resolve the issue, might not; but it is the direction I would try.

R. Keith Williams