• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

stretch marks

ozm8

Does anyone else get lots of stretch marks from doing Karate? I have a heap of stretch marks on both of my upper thighs, and a few stretch marks on my left arm.

How do I stop getting them?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No I don't have stretch marks because of karate. I have stretch marks because I am overweight and used to be obese so my stretch marks where weight related not martial arts related.

I am not all that knowledgeable in removing them. Probably best in looking it up.

Although from my knowledge it is unusual to get stretch marks from Martial Arts, but the only major change (other than weight) is muscular hypertrophy (Muscles getting larger)

oh really so you can't actually get them from doing materials arts or exercising? I must admin i have put on weight quite rapidly in the past 6 months but I'm not like obese.

Yeah basically you can't really get them from exercise in general. But I am not saying that it can't happen, because human physiology is amazing and wonderful so it can happen.

So if you have had a sudden weight gain it can occur. Although with a sudden weight gain it is unusual from my perspective to get stretch marks around the legs. Because they normally occur around your stomach.

ok i though it might have been from those damm sumo stances they make us do. They make us do these sumo stances and stay in the stance for ages, pushing us beyond our limit lol then it kills for days later.

Oh and while doing the sumo stances, like every 20-30 seconds they say lower, lower till the point where its unbearable.

I was under the impression that they can originate from weight loss/gain, or, from trauma and actual stretching of the skin.

They may be a result of someone continually gripping and twisting at your skin?

I have a family member that swears by vitamin-E cream and bio-oil. Might be worth a shot?

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I have the marks, but it's from being over weight years ago. I find though that when I do work out to a high level I get red marks around my shoulders, never figured out why but I always assumed it was from muscles tearing.. They look like stretch marks but they are bright red.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Stretch marks will happen any time and at any spot where the body changes faster than it can repair itself. They are tears in the underlying layers of the skin. It is common in theses well known cases:

1: For women after childbirth when the body returns to its previous state

2: The result of repeated dieting to lose mass quickly

3: As a side effect of the excessive and prolonged use of several so-called muscle bulking products such as creatine, whey protein shakes and others

To minimize the unsightly appearance of these and prevent them to some degree, coconut oil cream is effective. Rubbing it into the areas prone to stretch marks helps the skin maintain its stretchability and helps it keep up with the extra strain. For more information try to research stretch mark prevention in resources on pregnancy or ask a doctor or sports injury therapist