• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

While I Must...It Saddens Me So!!

sensei8

I'm the baby of the family, if 57 years old is a baby, with my brother, Donald, 7 years older than me, and my sister, Ruth, 4 years older than me. I've been the runt of the family, and it's a position that I've enjoyed because, at times, it has more benefits than not.

My sister, Ruth, has had medical issues her entire life, for as long as I can remember. But, as she's gotten older, she's experienced more setbacks than I care to remember. She's been in and out of the hospital so much, that I thought that she should get her mail there. Yes, she finds the humor in that, although it sounds quite mean for me to say.

She was in the hospital, January this year, three times for various reasons. We've talked about me moving down to where she lives in Texas, but that's all we've done, talked about it. No concrete convictions or anything like that; just conversations.

Well, it's no longer a conversation. I must do what I must do to help her, and that means that I'm moving to Houston, TX asap!! This unnerves me because the last time I moved to Dallas, TX to care for our ailing mom, she passed away 3 years after I moved there. I fear this might be the same issue!!

This, for me, to care for her, is a no-brainer; family comes first. That's how I was raised, and I don't apologize for it to anybody!!

Yes, for the third time, I've had to leave my dojo. This isn't ever an easy decision to make, but then again, it's easier because I'm taking care of a family member.

Because of my most recent physical setbacks, that I've been cleared to return to the floor by my doctor, I've not reassumed my teaching duties as the CI and General Manager of my beloved Kyuodan Dojo, nor have I reassumed my duties and responsibilities as Kaicho of the Shindokan Hombu.

When I stepped down from my dojo, I turned over my dojo to my most senior student, and this is what I've done each and every time. My California dojo and my Texas dojo, and now, my Oklahoma dojo, was given, not sold, to my most senior student. With the exception of the MA retail store: I sold the retail portion lock-stock-and barrel, and this was worked out by attorney's to an agreement that satisfies all concerned parties, but at a discounted price.

Each time, I've greatly missed my students, possibly more than you might ever imagine. I've said goodbye to my students last night, and there wasn't a dry eye in the place. They understood, and I pray that you might understand.

It seems that it's quite hard to be my student because of what I've done, and what I've decided to do, and for what I might do again. I don't think of it as me quitting on my students, nor do I think of it as walking away from my students, nor do I think that I've slapped them in their faces, nor do I think of it as being selfish. Of course I wouldn't because my minds made up. However, if my family needs me, I will answer the call without reservation, and/or ambiguity; now and in the future.

Will I open another dojo in Houston? I just don't know right now. I'm leaning towards doing so, but like I did when my mom needed me, I didn't right away, same thing when I left Texas for Oklahoma. I'm 57 years old, and recently I've had a scare of my own that made me step down until the doctor cleared me to return to the floor. Kyuodan Dojo #4 might happen in Houston, TX, but things have to be right for me to do so.

I've got to think about starting a dojo while I'm 57 years old, and I've got to consider the future of the new student body's betterment over my desire to teach and the like. Each time I've had to leave, I left them in competent hands, and yes, it's not the same, but it's better for them in the long run.

The California dojo is STILL going, and they're still doing fine, and I visit them often and train them whenever I'm at the Hombu...standing order, and they come over in droves when I'm in-house. That CI is a Renshi, and he holds the floor quite well. The Texas dojo is closed, and it became the victim of the economic downturn we all faced not to long ago; this STILL deeply saddens me, and I don't guarantee that I would've made a difference in keeping it open; times were rough, and they fought to keep it open but the reality was to big to ignore. I believe that the Oklahoma dojo will remain open for some time because Steve has an MBA and a Rokudan, and one fantastic teaching abilities, I mean, after all, he's a Kyoshi. I will visit the Oklahoma dojo once every quarter, once I reassume the Kaicho position, as I've visited each and every Shindokan dojo ever since I became the Kaicho. I will see them all as my duties warrant them for me to do so!!

Just having spoken with Greg, Hugh, and the Executive Administrative Team about my decision, they were in full support of my decisions and as to the reason's. When the time is right, I will return to being the Kaicho, and I'll always be Kaicho until I die...their words and not mine! I've proven to the Hombu that a Kaicho doesn't have to be in-house to be effective, and I make enough trips to the Hombu to warrant me not being in-house.

I've got to help my sister, and I've got to get back being 100%, whatever 100% means at my age and current physical boo boo. One day at a time, for now being, and if what I'm doing angers or questions of my motive or whatever else one might feel negative towards me, I'm sorry that I've disappointed anyone; that was never my intent.

I hate that I've had 3 dojo's because my student body suffered the most, each and every time!! I wish that I still had Kyuodan #1, it was my first dojo, and my students, then and now, are everything to me. If anyone thinks that I'm enjoying this, or that I've ever enjoyed this, then they are dead wrong; that's the furthest thing from me!!

Me moving to Houston, TX has had effects on my wife, Linda, and our son, Nathan. They leave behind Owasso, OK, and this is very hard for them. We leave our daughter, Krystal, in Taleqhah, OK while she's attending NSU. Many emotions for all concerned weigh heavy, but ALL understand, even though they don't like it, and they'd do the same thing should the shoe be on their foot. Support, is what I've noticed, and I will love them ALL, one and in the same, at all the time, now and forever!! Linda, Nathan, and Krystal said immediately..."YES...LET'S GO AND TAKE CARE OF RUTH...YES!!" and they said it with authority!!

Family....blood...that's what my parents taught me!! This is me!! God, family, and friends...in that order. This is how I was raised!!

I will take care of my sister to the very best of my abilities and then some!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I wish you all the best on your move Bob. I'll be praying for a smooth transition.

Thanks, John!!

Sorry, to everyone, for the long drawn out explanation(s); wasn't my intent. I suppose the post should've been short and sweet to just say...

"I'm moving to Houston, TX next week!!" and left it like that.

I sometimes say more than what's necessary. "Do you know what time it is?" Instead of saying..."Yes!", I will instead say..."Yes, I do. It's 5pm!"....sorry, all!!

Hey Bob,

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I hope that your move goes smoothly and that your health gets back to where you need it to be!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Patrick

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, Bob, and I'll be praying for her recovery. I think its a good thing that you have the ability to go help her, and I think your students understand that this is what defines you. A student couldn't really ask for a better example.

Sorry about your sister Bob. We are here to support you and your family when you need it.

I am sure the Shindokan family would love to have you pop by when you want to. And [hopefully] would let you train/teach when you want. Because they are family too

Sorry about your sister Bob. We are here to support you and your family when you need it.

I am sure the Shindokan family would love to have you pop by when you want to. And [hopefully] would let you train/teach when you want. Because they are family too

Thank you sir, means a lot to me!! I've passed the well wishes of everyone here at KF to my sister; she thanks each of you!!

I've reassumed my duties and responsibilities as Kaicho [President] of the SKKA, effectively February 18, 2015. The move is done; uneventful, well, as uneventful as a move of this personal magnitude can be.

I'll be visiting ALL Shindokan dojo's each quarter, as my duties and responsibilities demand that of me as Kaicho, especially as the annual testing at the Hombu nears.