• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Replaceable?

I loved Dai-Soke, but my MA betterment is way much more important than any kind of relationship that we might've or might not have had on or off the floor!! Therefore, my MA betterment comes before relationships!! Had he not have helped me to increase my MA betterment, I would've replaced him immediately. It's my betterment, and it's my journey ALONE!!

Sounds cruel...sounds quite unloyal?? Right?! Guess who taught me this cruel and unloyal mindset? My Dai-Soke!!

"If I don't nourish you, then you must find someone who will!!" ~ Dai-Soke

I'm thankful that he nourished me for over 4 decades!! But, others, haven't been so fortunate!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great question to consider. Thanks for asking it.

The way I would have answered this 30 years ago, is quite different than I'd answer it today. If my first master told me that I could fly if I jumped off a roof, I would have tried it. When he sold the school and moved out of state, I was crushed. The second school where I trained was run by a guy who had a great deal of trouble telling the truth. My next trainer became a good friend. I was at his bedside when he died of cancer at 42. I named my dojang after his school in his memory. A few years later, I sought out a new master to run my school under. I found one of the most genuine and kind grandmasters I've ever met. He died last year of cancer, and now his wife (equally as wonderful), now runs the organization.

The one thing I've learned is that my training, is bigger than all of these people in my life (both great and less so). I love my Art, and training. I still have goals that have surpassed many of those who trained me. My first master now teaches golf in Hawaii (not TKD). He's so pleased that I still train.

I have no regrets training with anyone I have. I've made life-long friendships in even bad training situations. Honestly, I hope that someone has/will look at me and say, "he pushed me to continue in my journey." I think that is the point of this whole thing.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

How about when GM Young Ik Suh became disenchanted with teaching? He delved in different businesses, including a restaurant. Who replaced who??

Exactly. Teaching is a hard business. Not everyone can or should do it forever.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Replaceable is just a word, therefore, I'm not inclined to defend it, one way or another!!

Possibly the point of my post was misinterpreted. I wasn't critiquing your use of the word for this topic, not at all. My point was more I don't see my instructor as replaceable, but likewise I don't think that I will always have to study under him so in a sense he is. If that makes sense? He's not interchangeable but he's also not necessarily permanent.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Replaceable is just a word, therefore, I'm not inclined to defend it, one way or another!!

Possibly the point of my post was misinterpreted. I wasn't critiquing your use of the word for this topic, not at all. My point was more I don't see my instructor as replaceable, but likewise I don't think that I will always have to study under him so in a sense he is. If that makes sense? He's not interchangeable but he's also not necessarily permanent.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to me, and I wholeheartedly agree with your premise!!

Its ok to seek people for guidance but in the end learning is self thought by doing and no one will do it for you.Eventually you need to find your own path.

Inca Warriors - Warriors of the Inca people were brainwashed for many years to forget fear completely until they became fearless to everything and then they were officially a warrior.

My sensei is not replaceable at all. He does encourage us to learn from others as much as possible.

But for me personally he is much more than my sensei. He is my mentor, guide along my journey, the first person to encourage me at karate. And most importantly a friend!

This is a tricky one. Some instructors are, and some aren't. It really depends on what kind of person they are.

Now, as a person, no one is replaceable. As an instructor, although we may really like the one we have, doesn't mean there aren't instructors out there that don't have more to offer.

With that said, I don't want to sound like some kind of mercenary student or something bouncing from instructor to instructor. I've had 4 TKD instructors throughout my journey, and each of them have offered something a bit different in my training. I've enjoyed my time with all of them. But if asked to pick one of them to be learning under right now, I know which one I would pick.

With that all said, replaceable probably isn't the work I would go with. Our journeys take different paths, and they tend to wind and twist. Along the way, we stop at different places, and at times have to move on. So although I wouldn't necessarily use the word replacement, things just change for us, and different chapters in the journey end and begin.

This is a tricky one. Some instructors are, and some aren't. It really depends on what kind of person they are.

Now, as a person, no one is replaceable. As an instructor, although we may really like the one we have, doesn't mean there aren't instructors out there that don't have more to offer.

With that said, I don't want to sound like some kind of mercenary student or something bouncing from instructor to instructor. I've had 4 TKD instructors throughout my journey, and each of them have offered something a bit different in my training. I've enjoyed my time with all of them. But if asked to pick one of them to be learning under right now, I know which one I would pick.

With that all said, replaceable probably isn't the work I would go with. Our journeys take different paths, and they tend to wind and twist. Along the way, we stop at different places, and at times have to move on. So although I wouldn't necessarily use the word replacement, things just change for us, and different chapters in the journey end and begin.

Solid post!!