• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

PTSD (post tramatic Stress Disorder) during training

Thanks All. I think I have mostly dealt with it in my life but kumite and self defense trigger it. I did tell my Sensei within days after a flashback I had during kumite. Since then he has told me privately he can tell by a glaze in my eyes and my body language when I am coping with it.

I have NOT had a flashback during class but I do get the fight/flight feeling and emotional aspect of it. He suggested I come up with something motivational that I recite in my head while fighting.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Happened to me at the worst possible time. I was teaching a class at someone else's academy. I ended up packing up my stuff and storming out of the building. Very embarrassing to say the least.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My latest plan is I have been practicing bag combinations counting backwards (10 Mississippi, 9 Mississippi..) hoping maybe eventually while I am sparing I can count in my head, focusing on that and not on actual fighting and maybe fighting can just become muscle memory?

• 1 year later...

Thank you Nidan Melbourne ... maybe it is time to do private lessons.

I have been coping by orienting myself in the room (meaning occasionally move my eyes from the belt or chest to around the room) to remind myself where I am and that I am safe. The faster their hands and or my head being hit triggers the feelings which eventually if they keep pursuing me when I retreat, then the visuals.

PTSD is an odd bird. When my father retuned from Vietnam, I was trying to wake him up for dinner and caught a right hook with the side of my face.

From them on, I woke him up from the other side of the room.

Sparring is honesty the rest is art.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

PTSD is an odd bird. When my father retuned from Vietnam, I was trying to wake him up for dinner and caught a right hook with the side of my face.

A good friend of mine's father was the same way. After Vietnam, the only person who could get close when waking him up was his wife. If you were within an arm's reach, you were going to catch a fist on your jaw or get choked.

Whenever a helicopter flew (he literally lived next door to the wall of an arsenal), he was on the floor face down with his hands covering his head. He'd hear them long before anyone else would. Very sad.

Very sad - back then they didn't call it PTSD and no-one received treatment for it. My father went to Nam twice and was never the same. He stayed in the military and was promoted up the ranks but was left to self medicate with alcohol. When I got older and got out of the military myself, I'd meet my father and have some beers at the VFW. One day told me what he was doing over there the second tour. From then on I knew why he was such a freak. Those guys had giant gonads. If you've ever seen the movie "The Great Santini," that was my life. Very Sad.

Very sad - back then they didn't call it PTSD and no-one received treatment for it. My father went to Nam twice and was never the same. He stayed in the military and was promoted up the ranks but was left to self medicate with alcohol. When I got older and got out of the military myself, I'd meet my father and have some beers at the VFW. One day told me what he was doing over there the second tour. From then on I knew why he was such a freak. Those guys had giant gonads. If you've ever seen the movie "The Great Santini," that was my life. Very Sad.

To the bolded point above; I won't pretend to know your father's situation one single bit, but IMHO i don't think calling him a "Freak" is a very thing to call him or anyone. I understand if you were young and didn't know why he acted the way that he did until he told you what had happened.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My latest plan is I have been practicing bag combinations counting backwards (10 Mississippi, 9 Mississippi..) hoping maybe eventually while I am sparing I can count in my head, focusing on that and not on actual fighting and maybe fighting can just become muscle memory?

Fighting shouldn't become muscle memory as they are unpredictable; but if you are able to get the counting in your head as a habit that will be better because that will help you stay calm and potentially reduce the liklihood of an "episode". This is my personal view, and not of a Registered Clinical Psychologist of which i am not qualified to say.

Chances are that he had some traumatic events happened whilst he was asleep, thats why he behaves like that.

Thank you Nidan Melbourne ... maybe it is time to do private lessons.

I have been coping by orienting myself in the room (meaning occasionally move my eyes from the belt or chest to around the room) to remind myself where I am and that I am safe. The faster their hands and or my head being hit triggers the feelings which eventually if they keep pursuing me when I retreat, then the visuals.

Ok I can understand what you mean there, as what your doing is having that visual reminder that safe space is there and your not in any real danger.

Many of my Private Students have PTSD and are slowly working towards being in a group setting or to be able to train with those of either the opposite sex or same sex. One of my students has given me consent to talk about them here on the forum; They were sexually and physically abused by their father which has traumatised them to the point that they cannot bear to have a male make any form of physical contact or be near her personal space. I commenced working with her (and her psychologist) in late 2014 and she only has just now opened up and started to let me make physical contact to her arms for more than 15 seconds.

But for her that was huge progress and I couldn't be more prouder of her, as we have been working slowly to allow her to form healthy relationships with males and to recognise what is comfortable for her and what is an acceptable level of physical contact.

Irregardless of Progress; be it fast or slow it should be celebrated for what it is PROGRESS.

Back then they called it shell shock. My grandfather was a Korean War veteran (Marines). One night when I was a teenager, we were watching Full Metal Jacket. We were laughing at the things the drill instructor was saying and doing to the cadets. Stupid us should have realized he was staying quiet for a reason. After the boot camp portion ended, my grandfather said "Do you really think that was an exaggeration? That's exactly how Parris Island was." He said the drill instructors had no problem with slapping you around, berating you, etc. We stayed quiet for the rest of the movie. Didn't have to ask if the war portion was an exaggeration or not. We could tell it was too real for him. He was fortunate in that he didn't have any issues that any of us knew of. He'd only talk about it when someone said something stupid. For example, my uncle (his son) was joking around saying he didn't know how to swim because no one ever saw him swim before. He just said he didn't like the water. My uncle kept it up, and my grandfather gave him "the 1,000 yard stare" and said calmly but matter of factly "do you really think I would have left Parris Island not knowing how to swim? Anyone who didn't know how to swim got kicked into the pool and was forced to learn the hard way. They didn't pull you out until you were under water for at least 15 seconds." Then he snapped back into nice grandfather mode instantly. He shut everyone up that day.

To the bolded point above; I won't pretend to know your father's situation one single bit, but IMHO i don't think calling him a "Freak" is a very thing to call him or anyone. I understand if you were young and didn't know why he acted the way that he did until he told you what had happened.

Don't take the "Freak" term literally. I use it affectionately.