• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aching adult newbie

mushybees

Hello and nice to meet you.

I'm 31 and two weeks ago joined a karate club. I haven't exercised in years and have no prior MA experience so I'm moving joints, ligaments and muscles in ways I'm not used to. I'm carrying a little bit of extra timber but I'm within normal range bmi wise.

After my first class I experienced sore muscles, tight hamstrings etc which I expected. After my second I had a pain in my left hip when I reached the end of my range of movement which eased over a few days and now after my third the hip pain is back and i've picked up a pain in my groin. Im not pushing myself any harder than anyone else in the group and although previously I haven't exercised in my free time I've always been active through my job (plumber) so I didn't expect to feel so fragile.

I'm wondering whether its normal to experience these kinds of aches and pains and whether through more time and karate training they'll stop? Also are there any exercises any one can recommend which will help build up strength in the hip muscles? I've been doing a bit of core work like sit ups, leg lifts and planks. I'm not sure if I'm doing more harm than good but the last thing I want to do is stop training to heal when I've just started. It took an early mid life crisis to get off my backside and into a dojo, I'd really like to find a way to work through it. Maybe I'd benefit from some weight training?

Thank you for reading if you can help and thanks for the great forum. It's a great little resource.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, and welcome to KarateForums.com! :karate:

I think the discomfort you are feeling right now is fairly normal for a beginner. I don't think you need to stop training to get better, but perhaps lay off the workouts outside of class until your body heals a bit. Once your body had become adapted to the new work load it is experiencing, then introduce some more supplementary workouts gradually.

Welcome to the world of the Martial Arts! We look forward to hearing your experiences and progress.

You'll get through the soreness soon. Your body will quickly grow into it and it will learn what your doing is actually beneficial to it.

All of us get sore after a class every once in a while because we work that hard. Like right now i am sore from Monday Nights class because of what work we did. And probably didn't help because one of my friends training that night left me with a stinger of a kick on one butt cheek then gave me a corky on the other. Admittedly we were being buttheads when he corkyed me

Like Bushido_man96 said lay off on the outside training for now until you can recover. Your body will get stronger quite quickly after a few weeks of training.

I had a break from karate for 6 months, I went back tonight, I was faced with a brown belt jumping through the air like a monkey. My legs pulled like rusty springs just looking at the guy. I know how you feel, hello and welcome.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

WELCOME!!!

and yes it's normal. You have to walk a fine line of pushing yourself to new limits AND listening to your body so that you avoid potential injury. Push gently and intelligently - and most importantly have fun !!!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Cheers guys.

I was expecting doms type muscle pain, its good to know its normal to feel a bit of discomfort in the joints and hips. It's not a totally unpleasant feeling when I know its come from hard work.

Thanks again.

Ok, Nidan Melbourne, what is a corky?

it is when you get hit in a location and has caused bruising.

also called deadleg or quadriceps contusions (called that because it is common to the thighs, hamstrings or glutes)

for more info:

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/corked-thigh-bruised-quadriceps

Ok, Nidan Melbourne, what is a corky?

it is when you get hit in a location and has caused bruising.

also called deadleg or quadriceps contusions (called that because it is common to the thighs, hamstrings or glutes)

for more info:

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/corked-thigh-bruised-quadriceps

Ah, that helps. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update for anyone else in a similar boat.

After a few more classes and a bit of light stretching the aches and pains evaporated. The advise was spot on, im feeling great and enjoying training 3 days a week.

So yeah, at first expect joint and ligament pain, not just sore muscles.