• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From how many years you are not considered as beginner?

Iskrax

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
One more thought I had - more of a fun point really - is that green belt for most systems tends to be in and around the half way mark. So you could say you are 'green' up to an including green belt... :lol:

I love this remark, hahaha!! :lol:

"You must first have the knowledge of your power, second, the courage to dare, third, the faith to do."

Charles Haneel, Master Key System, 1912.

1.5 to 2 years, give or take. I think that's a good time frame to not be totally rookie in one's thinking.

One more thought I had - more of a fun point really - is that green belt for most systems tends to be in and around the half way mark. So you could say you are 'green' up to an including green belt... :lol:

Where I train, there are actually a group of blue belts whose constant training, effort and growth have thrown them deep into Karate-do. I watched during their last grading in a near state of awe, for if they removed their green belts I would have guessed they were grading from purple to brown belt. Immediately I knew, they were no longer "green". :P

Therefore I will say that I believe the transition from beginner to dedicated, knowledgeable student is somewhere between 6kyu and 4kyu. In most cases I observe a dramatic distinction between orange and green belts for whatever reason. Perhaps at this point, they learn more about their own body mechanics, what works for them, what doesn't, and how to move around in stances with more fluidity.

As well as this, perhaps that little knowledge and confidence they've gained will leave them craving more and more.

Sensei Teruyuki Okazaki, 10thDan, once said something along the lines of "My one wish before I die is to execute Heian Shodan (kata#1) perfectly."

It is this kind of thinking that keeps the dedicated Karate-ka going, and constantly improving. However, going back to the beginning in no way means that one has to be a beginner. After 66 years of dedicated training, It would be silly to consider Sensei Okazaki a beginner.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Where I train, there are actually a group of blue belts whose constant training, effort and growth have thrown them deep into Karate-do. I watched during their last grading in a near state of awe, for if they removed their green belts I would have guessed they were grading from purple to brown belt. Immediately I knew, they were no longer "green". :P

Therefore I will say that I believe the transition from beginner to dedicated, knowledgeable student is somewhere between 6kyu and 4kyu. In most cases I observe a dramatic distinction between orange and green belts for whatever reason. Perhaps at this point, they learn more about their own body mechanics, what works for them, what doesn't, and how to move around in stances with more fluidity.

As well as this, perhaps that little knowledge and confidence they've gained will leave them craving more and more.

Sensei Teruyuki Okazaki, 10thDan, once said something along the lines of "My one wish before I die is to execute Heian Shodan (kata#1) perfectly."

It is this kind of thinking that keeps the dedicated Karate-ka going, and constantly improving. However, going back to the beginning in no way means that one has to be a beginner. After 66 years of dedicated training, It would be silly to consider Sensei Okazaki a beginner.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I would say a student is no longer a beginner right around 6th kyu, Green belt in my system. There is a dramatic difference between them and any white belt, and a observable difference even between them and fellow green belts at 7th kyu. time wise that would be about a 2 year average.

But IMO it's relative to what you consider a beginner. As a student and instructor, I feel like, and am a beginner compared to some of the black belts and the head instructor. The difference between them and myself is staggering. But I'm barely crawling when compared to 60+ years experience of the head instructor.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

Before asking the question that started this thread, it might be a good idea to give a definition of what is a beginner. Without first establishing what is considered a beginner, it is impossible to give a precise answer. Each martial artist who gives his opinion will answer the original question according to his definition of a beginner.

Here is mine: a beginner is a person who is still in the process of learning how to execute the basic techniques, the first kata/forms and fundamental principles of the system such as generating power, etc.

This stage is every level below Shodan. In my dojo it takes around 2 years of practise everyday. It takes up to 5 years if training only 2 times a week.

At shodan a student is considered an initiate or advanced beginner. A Shodan is supposed to have a good understanding of all the basic techniques and must know basic applications of all the required kata. At this level a student should also be conditioned enough to do contact drills with some power.

All the training onwards is focussed on skill refinement and increasing the level of technical precision, power generation and kata application.

6 months 1 year 5 years 10 years 50 years? Nope everyone is a beginner till they die.

Everyone is still learning and developing, they may have mastered techniques but they are still learning how to use it and what not to use it for.