• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training Sessions Ruined by Slippery Floors

Whenever I train by myself, I do so in my gym's aerobics room. It has those gymnasium style floors like on a basketball court. Every so often, the floors are really slick, and it ruins my work out. I can't hold my stances. As soon as I shift to a front stance, my back leg slides out into a split.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and do you know what causes it? It's not like I work out right after they wax the floors. Could it result from the temperature or humidity? It really seems to be completely random. Most importantly, were you able to find a solution? I was wondering if rubbing some grip powder weightlifters use on my feet (I train barefoot) would help. I'd really appreciate if someone could offer me a solution.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would just train in shoes. I realize it isn't necessarily "traditional," but it is practical. I'm sure shoes wouldn't slide so much on gymnasium floors, since those floors are intended for people to run around on them while wearing shoes.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Unless you are well connected with the gym staff, I'm not sure if there is anything you could do to change the traction on the floor. The fact that other people use it also limits what could possibly be done.

If the slipperiness is not from excess wax or other cleaning and maintenance products, it could be humidity. You could try to briskly wipe the floor with a dry mop broom. I'm sure the gym would let you borrow one if you asked. If that does nothing, then wearing shoes is the only solution. If you want something close to the sensation of being barefoot with shoes, try looking into a type of soft shoe. For example, kung fu or tai chi shoes. These are commonly sold by most martial arts equipment stores and are not so costly. I got a pair for myself that I bought on the internet for no more than a regular pair of cheap running shoes. I wear them whenever being barefoot is not possible.

Good luck

I would just train in shoes. I realize it isn't necessarily "traditional," but it is practical. I'm sure shoes wouldn't slide so much on gymnasium floors, since those floors are intended for people to run around on them while wearing shoes.

I used to train in shoes, but I encountered the same problem. Besides, I think training barefoot is more practical for tournaments. Doing so keeps my feet conditioned. I once sparred in a tournament after training in shoes, and my feet started hurting to much to move effectively much less throw any kicks. I was dead in the water in my first match, not something I'd care to experience again.

Train harder....

in theory you should be able to train on ice and use muscle power and balance to keep you upright. I'm not quite ready to try this yet but i can stop a slip easily enough.

maybe wear a t-shirt asking not to be attacked on slippery surfaces.... :)

Train harder....

in theory you should be able to train on ice and use muscle power and balance to keep you upright. I'm not quite ready to try this yet but i can stop a slip easily enough.

maybe wear a t-shirt asking not to be attacked on slippery surfaces.... :)

This is about right (and stated so eloquently/bluntly).

Slipping is about poor body mechanics and the relative ability of your core strength to overcome them. Work on your core/your ability to land with stability and your final position. Maybe traning on the slippery floor is a blessing. If necessary shorten your stances until you can manage them without slipping.

I would say train in shoes. For awhile my instructor actually made us train in street clothes-- shoes included-- at least one day a week. His rational was that if you're going to be attacked, you most likely won't be wearing a gi and have bare feet. I personally prefer training in bare feet, but he has a point...

I would agree that improving core strength and leg strength helps to hold the stance... That said, in the meantime either train in shoes as has already been suggested or there are some "secrets" to helping you grip the floor better. Honestly (cheap & nasty) hairspray sprayed on your feet works great to assist with traction. Or if you are able to wipe the floors down well afterwards, try liquid chalk. Not that I recommend doing this because it's pretty gross, but I've seen some competitors give their feet a wipe with sugary sodas i.e. full fat cola to get better traction on competition floors.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've never encountered what you've been experiencing in 50 years I've been on many different floor types. Train to grip the floor with your feet and keep your feet underneath you and not so wide and/or long.

Shoes? Well, if it'll help and if it'll be allowed, and while training your core!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!