• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite phrase of your Instructors?

In your many years of training what is your favorite saying that you've heard your instructor say?

It can also be something that you have said to your students.

It can be either be a serious phrase that made you have that lightbulb moment or can be gut bustingly funny!

For me it is my sensei who qouted a german cyclist who wrote a book and said in relation to a persons legs when they are in a lot of pain when doing stances, it is

Sh*t Up Legs

That Phrase that i qouted had two purposes; 1 was to make us realise that we can push ourselves further than our body is telling us and that our mental toughness can push us through it. and secondly it was to make us to relax and have a laugh

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I like shut up legs - funny

Sometimes while teaching something new he'd say: now practice only 10,000 times.

The delivery was spot on

you kinda have to do it in a slightly german accent as well.

My instructor comes out with some crazy stuff, some of it is quite weird but most of it makes a lot of sense. One of my favourites is when he was talking about the guns mounted on a spitfire, and how they were all angled to hit the same spot, that if they were mounted just to fire straight out they wouldn't have been so effective and that we should apply this to our journey toward black belt, if our focus isn't correctly aligned then we will miss our target. We pick a spot and fire ourselves towards it.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

That's interesting

My instructor says about goal setting:

"If NOTHING is your target, you'll hit it"

That's what I love about martial arts, everyone has different views on everything but no single person is wrong in their views. If my instructor can inspire me and your instructor can inspire you to give our all, then that, in my book, is a win and a mark of a great instuctor.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

"Put yourself into the technique".

He says this when instructing us on how to be creative with our applications. Each of us is different- age, ability, athletic prowess, etc. So my technique may be more powerful and fast than someone else who prefers precise, calculated techniques.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.