• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fun cardio!!

ad

an advantage running has over puching a bag is that running will also keep your bones healthy (i.e. increase/maintain bone density by weight loading bones)...advantage for puching bag (or shadow boxing) is that it's specific to what you already do, and therefore you can build up endurance in your heart and arms specific to sport. try runnning wiht a buddy, that helps :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muscle building is also an advantage of heavy bag work. Due to the impact resistance of the bag, the muscles that are required to perform a given technique given a full workout. Due to the continuous, full power type of training that is provided by a heavybag workout, the cardio-vascular system gets a thorough workout. As muaythaiposer commented.... I prefer cardio kickboxing beause it is specific to my martial art training.

But don't reject running because you feel it's boring and not fun!

Besides cardio, running also strengthens the legs. Stronger legs will translate into stronger, more powerful kicks as well as stronger stances. Bruce Lee knew the benefits of running, often referring to it as the "king of exercises"

Running alone can be boring for some people. It is important to maintain a positive mental attitude while running. You should feel your body and endurance getting stronger everyday and don't focus on the effort involved. While running think positive thoughts. Running is used by many people as a form of meditation. The feeling of well being that comes after a 20 minute run can become an excellent way to rejuvenate your mind and body.

Running is really the ideal supplemental training because its easy, requiring no special equipment, location and from start to finish-- can take only about 45 minutes out of your day for cardio benefits. It will not only benefit your martial art training but also your complete physical and mental well being too.

Running really is the "king of exercises". :karate:

I hate cardio work too and I really hate running!! :kaioken:

tho i do enjoy playing soccer (football :wink: ), Though playing soccer is basically running around it is fun and a great way to exercise. Now thats fun cardio! Arrange to play foot ball with your mates a couple of evenngs a week. You'll soon get fit and it's fun too.

Bretty

• 3 weeks later...

KickChick, I would love to run because I know the benefits for me would be astounding! BUT, (there's always a but), I get terrible, and I mean terrible, shin splints. Any suggestions? I would love the cardio and weight loss benefits of this activity. Not to mention being able to run after my children more often than I do.

Some more information, I have pretty muscular legs. Very thick and muscular calves. I have always been a sprinter and not very good at distance running. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Shin splints is very common runners affliction and also for those who play sports that involve varying degrees of running such as soccer and lacrosse. Pain and soreness in the anterior compartment and difficulty in pointing the toes upwards are typical symptoms. If left untreated, the muscles (of the anterior compartment) become sore to the touch.

Shin splints are the result of overuse and might be aggravated by odd running styles like excess pronation. Bad or worn shoes on unyielding surfaces... are an open invitation to shin splints. Here is a good site for you! http://www.meriter.com/living/library/sports/shoe.htm

Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation are the typical reactions to shin splints. Sitting and extending the toes back to the knee and the then forward while pointing the toe will exercise these muscles and provide some strengthening. Using your foot to spell the alphabet is actually a serious exercise that strengthens those hard to exercise muscles. Massage of the tibialis muscles can relieve the tightness caused by excess pronation. A suggestion .... stopping the movements that cause the problem (pronation) and to be sure your sneakers have arch supports and strong heel counters..... and do stregthening exercises!

Ease into a running routine.... This is what I do:

....start with a walk-jog routine. Pick a distance as a short term goal in the 1 to 3 mile range. Begin by jogging, relax and exhale fully to reduce the carbon dioxide buildup in your system. Slow to a walk when you need to but don't stop. Jog again when you catch your breath and keep up the walk-jog routine until your set distance is completed. Follow this routine every second day for the first 2 to 4 weeks, always trying to reduce the amount of time spent walking. You should be able to run your set distance within the first 4 weeks. If not, revise your goal downward.

Eventually you should work up to running steady for 18 to 20 minutes to obtain the max cardio work out. At this point you should begin incorporating occasional sprints. The broken rhythm of running-sprinting also approximates the rhythm of sparring matches.