• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't OSS me!

Spartacus Maximus

I know this topic is something that has been discussed but I would like to share my experience with it in karate's native land.

I believe the use of OSS is something that originated in Oyama's kyokushinkai. The usage then spread to the other Japanese styles and then with the popularity of Kyokushinkai outside Japan by western karateka.

I used it once in a while too but I completely stopped after being told not to. Once I used it with an Okinawan sensei and he was not pleased at all. Quite annoyed and even upset. He said it is not a proper thing for a karateka to say as it is for thugs and yakuza.

I thought about what I was told and I realized why he was so upset one night when I was out at a local bar. A short, stocky middle age man walked in closely followed by two taller fellows. As they made their way toward the counter, three younger men immediately stood up and greeted him with OSS. They also used it a few more times when the older man addressed them.

Needless to say I kept an extra low profile for the rest of the evening. I later found out that these men were from the underworld and members of the Kokuryukai(Black Dragon Society), a yakuza group who control many entertainment businesses in Okinawa. Also found out that my sensei at the time was a very well respected member of the local community. A man who would generously help anyone. That is why he did not want to be OSsed

In fact many okinawan sensei do not like to be OSsed. The popular impression of karate seems different from mainland Japan where the public often associates it with the underworld and violent thugs. The impression in much more positive and masters are always pillars of their community viewed with respect because of their contributions as much as their dedication to preserving and teaching their native art.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my understanding of Oss (or even spelt Osu) it is a shortned form of a phrase that students used traditionally. It was done by the younger karateka.

He told you off because it is in a way disrespectful to use the shortened version of it

Your understanding is correct and as someone who is fairly proficient in Japanese I know that senior people can get upset if their juniors address them without the correct forms.

My understanding is that he was more upset because being a respected community figure, he did not want to be associated with anything related to the underworld and the negative impressions they give to his beloved native art. I'm glad he explained clearly and now I know but my fellow student would not have gotten off easy. They would be expected to know because they are native.

I wonder if there are any non-Okinawan/Japanese sensei out there who are anti-OSs. What about yours?

Osu and its uses has always been controversial.

My Sensei likes us to use it when he calls for a water break or to collect some pads or issues instructions just so he knows we heard him and understand.

Its much easier to hear a dojo full of students say osu than a muddle of yeah, yep, ok, yes sir, understood etc.

Not saying that its the correct usage from Japan but works for my dojo.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

Osu and its uses has always been controversial.

My Sensei likes us to use it when he calls for a water break or to collect some pads or issues instructions just so he knows we heard him and understand.

Its much easier to hear a dojo full of students say osu than a muddle of yeah, yep, ok, yes sir, understood etc.

Not saying that its the correct usage from Japan but works for my dojo.

Yes, same here. I think it's good to be mindful of cultural differences when travelling, and I'd want to research a little more before I went to Japan or somewhere else to see what is expected there. But for our dojo it is used as a respectful way of saying "I hear you", "I understand", "I'm clear", etc. And because it is used that way, then it is a respectful thing for us, within our dojo.

Personally, I can't stand it. Some how it's crept into Jiu Jitsu as well and I think it's ridiculous. It's over formalized and rather cobra-Kai ish in my opinion. But that's just me. Lots of schools are really into it.

The term...When in Rome...doesn't apply to terminologies like Oss, and the like, with all styles of the MA. Some do it, and others don't. Saying Oss doesn't make us more important than others that don't.

Is there a fine line?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is certainly the first time I heard of the term being used in another martial art besides karate. Now that is pretty strange! Even the karate people in japan who OSS would find that a bit weird!

Maybe there is a fine line but I am not quite sure where it should be drawn. I just follow what my teacher does because where I train it has certain cultural connotations. Outside japan I thought it seemed a little to rank-and-file but didn't mind it too much. Now when I have my own students I will probably not be using it wether I am in japan or not

Osu starts to be very popular in Bjj ( in UK), I used to Osu in the past as our style of karate have origins in Kyokushinkai. Now I only use it when on seminars when I see that teacher really want to and all students say it.

But it drives me crazy when you hear Osu everywhere, as I have lots of friends from martial arts, sometimes we going out and people say Osu in shops, pubs etc.

Trying to explain that it is ok in dojo and not in normal life is very tiring.

Shin ai do - the way of true adaptability,

My blog http://shinaido.wordpress.com/

https://www.shinaidokarate.com

fb - Shinaidomartialarts