• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

42 Secrets from Soke Inoue Yoshimi kata coach

DWx

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for sharing!

I liked the 42 points. I thought that they were solid and beneficial. For me, however, I am less worried if my technique is snappy (or at least what I am assuming he means by snappy) and instead I am more concerned as to whether or not it is powerful.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Very nice article .... Thanks for sharing it with us :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I mostly agree with them, though there are a few technical points I disagree. However, those are for very specific reasons originating from my own practice. Plus; he comes from a kata performance point of view, where as I come from a kata reference point of view. That in itself changes how one performs kata.

Saying that though, I would encourage any one to try all 42 points, it is a learning experience. I have got to 30 since I first read the article.

R. Keith Williams

I mostly agree with them, though there are a few technical points I disagree. However, those are for very specific reasons originating from my own practice. Plus; he comes from a kata performance point of view, where as I come from a kata reference point of view. That in itself changes how one performs kata.

Yeah I can't say I agree with every point. Though I confess to not actually training Karate. Most of our forms and methodology are borrowed from Shotokan so you'd think there'd be a greater deal of crossover...

5. Use your heels. Turn on your heels. Step from your heels. Always keep your weight above your heels. This keeps your shoulders relaxed and your knees unlocked, which allows for snappy and quick movements.

33. When you move forward in cat stance (neko ashi dachi), rotate on the center of your foot. Not your heel. Not your toes. But the center of your foot. This is the correct way for neko ashi dachi. (It’s curious facts like these we’ll have to explain twice when the aliens land.)

These are the two that would stick out for me. In ITF Taekwondo it's always the ball of foot. The foot/ankle must act like a shock absorber and a spring to launch from. Also contradicts this other post by Jesse: http://www.karatebyjesse.com/why-karates-classic-heel-turn-is-scientifically-wrong/

Saying that though, I would encourage any one to try all 42 points, it is a learning experience. I have got to 30 since I first read the article.

I liked the suggestion from one of the comments on the article which said to try training 1 or 2 a week... Can really focus on a specific goal during your training :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yeah I can't say I agree with every point. Though I confess to not actually training Karate. Most of our forms and methodology are borrowed from Shotokan so you'd think there'd be a greater deal of crossover...

5. Use your heels. Turn on your heels. Step from your heels. Always keep your weight above your heels. This keeps your shoulders relaxed and your knees unlocked, which allows for snappy and quick movements.

33. When you move forward in cat stance (neko ashi dachi), rotate on the center of your foot. Not your heel. Not your toes. But the center of your foot. This is the correct way for neko ashi dachi. (It’s curious facts like these we’ll have to explain twice when the aliens land.)

These are the two that would stick out for me. In ITF Taekwondo it's always the ball of foot. The foot/ankle must act like a shock absorber and a spring to launch from. Also contradicts this other post by Jesse: http://www.karatebyjesse.com/why-karates-classic-heel-turn-is-scientifically-wrong/

I liked the suggestion from one of the comments on the article which said to try training 1 or 2 a week... Can really focus on a specific goal during your training :)

I can agree with you on the points that you qouted from the article. Because the heel turn places excessive strain on the joint capsule in the knee. And also I have found that the heel turns are not effective for stability. Although for a kata like seeiunchin you do want to use the power from the heel to push forward. But for turns not a good idea.

Training 1 or 2 times a week is always great to keep focused on what to do correctly each week.

The noted differences from those practitioners not training in karate are solid across the board. Reminds me that there's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. I've enjoyed all posts from those who don't training regularly in karate, and as a karateka, I agree with Soke's 42 points.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!