• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your martial art (s) why did you choose them?

I started Kyokushin Karate mainly for getting fitter and more healthy. :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started Kyokushin Karate mainly for getting fitter and more healthy. :)

And stronger bones! which is very true for the style

Yes I guess you are right :lol:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I started out in Western Boxing. And had seen some Judo and Karate on TV and Movies. However in 1966 - The Green Hornet TV series with Bruce Lee playing Kato came out and I was hooked. It took 2 years for me to convince my Parents - but in 1968 I left Boxing ( I have a much more appreciation for it now ) and started taking Karate.

ok, I always wanted do the martial arts - well mainly for two reasons.

1. Was bullied as a kid and

2. Jackie Chan

Any why the styles (I'll only include those I had one or more gradings with)...

1. Shotokan, as I recall it was due to my work/study schedule. Left due to move.

2. Freestyle karate, I wanted to incorporate more sparring and there wasn't a Shotokan class in the new area I moved to that was compatible with my work/study schedule. Left due to wanted a more "traditional" art.

3. Ni-Sen karate, similar to Shotokan karate - wanted to get back to the "Traditional" roots. Left due to problems with my knees.

4. Kickboxing, 2nd attempt to restart my journey into the martial arts. Thought that it would be easier on my knees. After about 4-5 months had to leave as problems returned.

5. GKR, Wanted to experience first hand this style due to discussions about this style, stopped training due to various reasons.

6. Tang Soo Do, I wanted the same feeling that I got from the first association that I was with. Tang Soo Do was just an art that I tried after a long stream of different trials with different arts/styles. Fell in love with it and have been here ever since :)

There have been others but I was only with them from a couple of lessons to just under 3 months, so no grading with them.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I started kung fu and ju jitsu in middle school to get in shape and learn how to defend my self. I wasnt bullied but I did not feel safe as most of my friends were physically stronger than me. Unfortunately had to leave the style due to lack of time. Later when I wanted to get back the dojo was closed due to lack of students. So I decided to go to karate. First I tried calling kiokushin instructor but no one answered so I called shotokan and I'm training ever since. I also did some kick boxing and aikido but karate is just my thing. Right now my goal is to open my own school in the future.

A style is just a name.

It was what was available in my area. The town I grew up in wasn't a hotbed of MA schools; TKD was all there was. So, I took it up, and here I am, still working at it.

• 2 weeks later...

My main focus is on Shotokan. I wanted to train karate with traditions, focus on control of body and mind, and train in a dojo with good instructors and a good enviroment. A Shotokan club in my city could give me all that.

To help me get in better shape, loose weight I also train MMA.

A main reason I decided to train mma and not other sports to get in shape, was because my daughter trains BJJ in a club that has MMA classes at the same time as the kids bjj class. I already was driving her to every class, waiting 1½ hour for her to finish and then driving home. I mind as well could use the waiting time getting in shape :)

For me it was ;

Enter the Dragon

I just loved the idea of being able to fight like that!

I was 8 it was cool, what did I know!

Years later I was working though an apprenticeship and was chatting to one of the guys who invited me to a dojo.

I knew nothing about different systems or styles and schools, I watched and was amazed!

(the 8 year old came back)

Soon after I learnt there were other types of karate and the one I had joined was called Kyokushinkai.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

The original art I studied was TKD. This was chosen for me by my mother. When we moved away I found Poekoelan Kung Fu. Again, this was more a choice of convenience as I could ride my bike to the place.

Once I earned my second degree black belt I returned to TKD for a short time. I wanted to see if I still liked it. It was ok, but the location was horribly inconvenient and I never stuck with the art.

Eventually I found a nice shotokan dojo and stuck with that training through Sandan. During that time I was exposed to a sogo bujitsu program that was outstanding and trained it for about a year. I was then exposed to Aiki-jujitsu. This was the first time I really fell in love with an art. The hands on style of it really resonated with me.

After returning from war I had grown to dislike the regimented style of training in the traditional styles. So when I ran into BJJ, I was hooked. Much more laid back. Since that time, I've come to appreciate a more regimented structure again and have, to some extent, employed them in my own academy. But the alive training of BJJ and MMA (which I also trained at the same time) really resonates with me. That's why I do it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."