• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The toughest part

I was wondering what the toughest part of your respective art is to you.

for example, remembering kata, performing kata, kicking high, kicking well, sparring, stances, vocabulary, anything

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yakusoku kumite. They are largely impractical, with one or two practical bits thrown in, so I'm not as interested in them as our bunkai drills that are more free-form and practical. We also don't practice them all that much, and you have to learn both the attacking side and the defending side, so it's a lot of material to try to memorize.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Language... Coming from Japanese karate (Shotokan) and transferring to Korean karate (Tang Soo Do), the language is the only thing that's a pain :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Tuite!! Our brand is a in-your-face type, an extreme close range model, and that, can be quite difficult to adopt to first, no matter the level. This is usually difficult because it takes a special mindset to be comfortable in a close range environment.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Kicking high for me. Alright with high front kicks, axe kicks and those types of kicks but anything requiring sideways hip flexibility and I'm screwed. Would give anything to be able to do a perfect head height side kick.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I have many things ... language, high kicks, maintaining balance while kicking,..... is that enough or say more!! :(

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Opps, my bad, I misunderstood the OP question...

Overall, I hate that I've no superior to teach me anymore within Shindokan.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Vocabulary is tough since in my previous style all of the techniques were in English and now I have to learn the Japanese terms for techniques in my new style.

Flexibility and balance are challenges but I'd have to say the hardest part for me is coordination and speed. I was not athletic in my youth and it seems my brain wasn't wired well in that way. Just means I have to be more patient when learning new techniques.