• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to improve hip flexability for the round kick?

mazzybear

I can do it for 4 seconds before I tip over backwards. What is the problem? Low flexibility in my calves?

Not sure what the problem is but I guess a balance problem, try again with putting all your weight on your heels and try using your toes to balance. Try more and keep us updated. ;)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are your feet supposed to be parallel or in a slight V formation? The closer to parallel the more uncomfortable pressure I felt in my knees so I adjusted to a slight V. Thoughts?

I do it with a bit of V shaped feet to relive stress on my knees :) keep going and you will do it. Bit harsh but excellent results. I have noticed a big difference even with 12.5 minutes only not 30 :)

Good to hear.

I'll keep at it!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

So my round kick is defiitely improving, not sure if it has been the squat challenge or lots of time spent practicing on the bag. Maybe a bit of both along with the other stretching exercises. But it's improving none the less. I'm getting good hip roll and even managing good height, I can comfortably kick jodan level with my right leg, left leg not so good, but still and improvement on before.

So thanks for all the advice guys it's definitely helping.

:bowofrespect:

M.

Be water, my friend.

So my round kick is defiitely improving, not sure if it has been the squat challenge or lots of time spent practicing on the bag. Maybe a bit of both along with the other stretching exercises. But it's improving none the less. I'm getting good hip roll and even managing good height, I can comfortably kick jodan level with my right leg, left leg not so good, but still and improvement on before.

So thanks for all the advice guys it's definitely helping.

:bowofrespect:

M.

Good on you mazzybear :) keep training and get your left to jodan level too :D

I've found that yoga has helped with all over flexibility. For the hips, we go into Happy Baby pose... it's actually a great way to feel your hips loosening up as you get into pose.

Also a great position would be the Lizard pose... a very deep lunge with emphasis on the hips as they drop deeper into the pose.

I can tell you personally, since adding yoga into my regular exercise routine. My stances are stronger, I'm in a deeper horse stance. And I've gained strength where I was weak.

I've found that yoga has helped with all over flexibility. For the hips, we go into Happy Baby pose... it's actually a great way to feel your hips loosening up as you get into pose.

Also a great position would be the Lizard pose... a very deep lunge with emphasis on the hips as they drop deeper into the pose.

I can tell you personally, since adding yoga into my regular exercise routine. My stances are stronger, I'm in a deeper horse stance. And I've gained strength where I was weak.

Good to hear! Thanks for sharing. Might give that a shot too.

So after a week of doing the Asian Squat Challenge my hip mobility has improve and it's especially noticeable in my round house kicks. Sticking with it, kind of excited to see where this goes after one month of practice.

To be honest, it's become quite meditative. Sitting in the Asian squat for 30-minutes each day...the mind begins to wander and of course relax. :)

So after a week of doing the Asian Squat Challenge my hip mobility has improve and it's especially noticeable in my round house kicks. Sticking with it, kind of excited to see where this goes after one month of practice.

To be honest, it's become quite meditative. Sitting in the Asian squat for 30-minutes each day...the mind begins to wander and of course relax. :)

good to hear that :D

• 2 weeks later...

I would also add that the standing foot has a lot to do with a well executed round kick.

You have to twist your standing foot! trying to do a head height round kick with you foot planted forward means you are jamming your hip bone in the socket!

At the point in which the round kick should strike your standing foot should be facing almost the other direction away from you. This means you hips are in a far more natural position and this improves the height and power.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

• 5 months later...