• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to improve hip flexability for the round kick?

mazzybear

Hey guys,

Not too sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here is my question anyway. I've been training in karate now for just over a year after 20+ years away from it. I still struggle a bit with my round house kicks, I just can't get my hip up and over to execute the kick properly, so was wondering if any of you can give me some execises/stretches to open my hips a bit? My instructoe says it's quite unusual for a woman to lack flexability in her hips, it may be due to the fact I sit most of my time at work. He's given me some stretches to try daily at home but would be grateful for anything any of you could offer on top of these. My other kicks are ok and I can get good height on my side kicks, it's the round house I seem to struggle with.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

M.

Be water, my friend.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good question and I will waiting for advice with you as I have the same problem with all the high kicks but for me I have been training for only 2 months :D

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

As a guy with the same problem (off for 20 years, started training again), I found that stretches that focus on the hips work the best for me. I do lunge stretches (basically stretching for a front split) along with the typical Shotokan stretching routines. (Hard to explain, but google should help!) I also do pigeon stretches for hip flexibility.

Those have helped me tremendously. I can do high kicks now, although I cannot come close to any kind of side splits. When I started back, all of my kicks hurt. Now, there is no pain, and my kicks are a lot higher.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

If you're having problems with hip mobility, that means you're having problems with mobility period. Everything comes through the hips.

Try the 30min squat challenge:

http://antranik.org/the-30-minutes-a-day-squat-challenge/

You'll be surprised how much difference this will make. I did it and was shocked at how much more effective it is than all the other stretching routines. Give it a shot.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If you're having problems with hip mobility, that means you're having problems with mobility period. Everything comes through the hips.

You'll be surprised how much difference this will make. I did it and was shocked at how much more effective it is than all the other stretching routines. Give it a shot.

Solid post!!

Have you had any injuries in your hips? Students of mine that have had this problem have had some issues with their hip-pointer due to some injury to that area in the past. Also, as suggested already, stretches that concentrate on your hips/lower back.

This is about the hip pointer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_pointer

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be sure to try it all out. I especially liked the video for the Asian squat, made me chuckle. I've seen a slight improvement with the stretches my instructor gave me, hopefully these will help further.

M.

Be water, my friend.

Have you had any injuries in your hips?

I've not had any serious injury to my hips, the only thing I can think of is when I was a kid I was jumping on a bed and fell off, nothing broke or dislocated but I did have a good limp for a while. I was always sporty through my teens and early 20's and never suffered any effects from said injury. I did gain quite a bit of weight when my sporting activities lessened, I've lost 3 1/2 stone and am now back to my ideal weight of 10st, I don't know if that would have any affect on flexability?

Thanks for the advice.

M.

Be water, my friend.

That looks a great challenge ... I think I will try it :)

That looks a great challenge ... I think I will try it

I tried it last night, it was very uncomfortable after 5 minutes or so. But I would think it can be split over the day, say 3 10min sessions, and then work my way up to the 30 minutes. Let me know how you found it. :)

M.

Be water, my friend.

That looks a great challenge ... I think I will try it

I tried it last night, it was very uncomfortable after 5 minutes or so. But I would think it can be split over the day, say 3 10min sessions, and then work my way up to the 30 minutes. Let me know how you found it. :)

M.

Oh that will be very tough challenge ... I will keep you updated for sure :D