• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which is better ?!!

Safroot

I am still a white belt and I feel really lost in the dojo when others do combinations. I know that's normal but my question is :

Is it better to concentrate more on the basics that I have in my white belt syllabus for grading and try to improve and fine tune my techniques in it or is it better to ask a BB friend to teach me the more advanced stuff (punches, kicks, blocks, ....etc).

When I spoke to my sensei about it his opinion was to concentrate on basics and after each grading he will teach me the next level techniques.

My problem is I am training only 1.5 hours a week (due to work shifts) and the 1st grading needs 40 hours of practice which means 6-7 months !!! so I feel my progress will be too slow if I concentrate only on the very basics for my white belt !!

Any opinions ?!!!

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only build your house as strong as the foundation. Take it slow. Don't worry about the speed of your progression-- worry about the quality. Also, 6-7 months for a beginning rank is pretty average.

Take your time learning everything. Learn your basics and do them well.

Every student of any martial art requires a strong foundation before learning advanced techniques.

Pratice what you know and practice often. Even if at work when you have a few minutes break.

Don't worry about the speed of your progression-- worry about the quality

Yes for sure I will and that's what I am trying to do all the time :D

Thank you so much for your advice :)

Edited by Safroot

Also, 6-7 months for a beginning rank is pretty average.

That makes me feel much better, I thought that's too long time :)

Take your time learning everything. Learn your basics and do them well.

Every student of any martial art requires a strong foundation before learning advanced techniques.

Pratice what you know and practice often. Even if at work when you have a few minutes break.

Thanks for advice .. I think "PRACTICE" is the magic word in the one's MA journey.

regarding the last part of your post: I am actually practicing whenever I can even in the bathroom :brow:

I feel weird but I know couple of MAtist that were doing the same early in their MA journies :lol:

Basics are crucial. Also many advanced combinations are built on the basic movements and contain them. Dont be in a hurry, and as said, 6 months is perfectly normal :)

I had this problem last night. I was asked to teach a class to 2 students- one is a 45 yr old blue belt that will be testing for purple in 2 weeks, and the other is a 10 year old green belt that is testing for blue, but keeps pushing to skip blue and go to purple! I was taking them thru their katas, and it was clear that the blue belt knows the "routine", but he lacks form and knowledge of the bunkais. The green belt knows bits and pieces from a lot of katas, but he can't complete the ones he's supposed to know from start to finish. So I went thru everything with them and explained what they needed to know and understand. I told the green belt that I think that his knowledge needed to catch up with his confidence and that he needed to practice a lot at home.

The way this ties in is that both of them press the advanced students and our Sensei to teach them more of the advanced techniques because they don't feel that perfecting the basics shows their progression. I'm a huge proponent of either perfecting something before learning something else or working to the best of my ability towards perfecting what has been taught. I believe that one shouldn't focus on the time. They should focus on the technique.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Basics are crucial. Also many advanced combinations are built on the basic movements and contain them. Dont be in a hurry, and as said, 6 months is perfectly normal :)

:up:

I had this problem last night. I was asked to teach a class to 2 students- one is a 45 yr old blue belt that will be testing for purple in 2 weeks, and the other is a 10 year old green belt that is testing for blue, but keeps pushing to skip blue and go to purple! I was taking them thru their katas, and it was clear that the blue belt knows the "routine", but he lacks form and knowledge of the bunkais. The green belt knows bits and pieces from a lot of katas, but he can't complete the ones he's supposed to know from start to finish. So I went thru everything with them and explained what they needed to know and understand. I told the green belt that I think that his knowledge needed to catch up with his confidence and that he needed to practice a lot at home.

The way this ties in is that both of them press the advanced students and our Sensei to teach them more of the advanced techniques because they don't feel that perfecting the basics shows their progression. I'm a huge proponent of either perfecting something before learning something else or working to the best of my ability towards perfecting what has been taught. I believe that one shouldn't focus on the time. They should focus on the technique.

nice example and good advice that has to be considered :)