• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to improve your balance ?!

I feel like falling down after doing any high kick and I think my main problem is losing my balance. My Sensei said it will improve with time.

My question is: Is there any sort of exercise that help you to improve your balance and do all sorts of kicks while you are pretty stable on the floor ?!

I am currently doing a weird exercise I am not sure if it might help or not .. I am trying to stand on one foot as long as I can (I can't do more than 20-30 seconds on each side) ?!! :bawling:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One thing with high kicks is your recovery. Often if your recovery of the kick is slow then you would lose your balance. But if you recover too quickly you can still lose your balance. So overall it is a fine line to keeping your balance! it all depends on you and how move and stand whilst kicking.

There are a lot of exercises i've seen and done but can't seem to recall.

One thing with high kicks is your recovery. Often if your recovery of the kick is slow then you would lose your balance. But if you recover too quickly you can still lose your balance. So overall it is a fine line to keeping your balance! it all depends on you and how move and stand whilst kicking.

There are a lot of exercises i've seen and done but can't seem to recall.

So it's matter of refining my technique quickness ... ah mate that will be very hard :brow: but I will keep trying :karate:

Thanks for advice and if you remembered any exercise plz let me know :)

I try to bend my knee of the foot that isn't kicking. That helps me to keep my balance a bit. Also, quick drawback on the kick. But if the form is correct, your balance should be fine.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I try to bend my knee of the foot that isn't kicking. That helps me to keep my balance.

Good idea i will try it :)

I have found this video about drills to improve balance but not sure if this might work or not ? any ideas ? don't want to lose time and effort in something that might not help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq9Lzkc4v88

I have found this video about drills to improve balance but not sure if this might work or not ? any ideas ? don't want to lose time and effort in something that might not help.

That seems like it would work. As long as you make sure to keep good form according to Kyokushin standards. I would add that after you get to the point in the video, to start throwing them faster and faster. This video is great for static balance, but static balance is a different beast than keeping balance during constant motion.

In the end, I would suggest drilling it slow at first, kind of like the video (although I wouldn't hold it out there) so that you can practice good technique. Find that sweet spot for you and drill that while gradually moving faster and faster. Drilling away from the dojo is the best way to get the balance that you want.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

That seems like it would work. As long as you make sure to keep good form according to Kyokushin standards. I would add that after you get to the point in the video, to start throwing them faster and faster. This video is great for static balance, but static balance is a different beast than keeping balance during constant motion.

In the end, I would suggest drilling it slow at first, kind of like the video (although I wouldn't hold it out there) so that you can practice good technique. Find that sweet spot for you and drill that while gradually moving faster and faster. Drilling away from the dojo is the best way to get the balance that you want.

Thanks Zaine .. I think I have to work on the static balance first then start on the motion one :) will be too much work for me but I am keen to do it :karate:

Zaine gives good advice here. I would doubly note how the individual makes certain to rechamber the kick, and not drop it down. Also notice how he doesn't lean over that much when kicking high. This comes from stretching. Don't lean to kick; if you kick high, your body will lean naturally.

Zaine also makes another good point about maintaining balance in motion. This is called agility, and you should look into some agility drills to help you with this. Doing some bag work is a good start, as you have to maintain your balance when absorbing the contact that the kick makes with the bag. This will translate well to sparring.

Finally, don't discount the advantage of having strong legs. Weighted squats (yes, weighted squats) are a great way to build strength in the legs, along with lunges.

Your instructor is right, this will come with time. But, it doesn't mean you can't help it along, either.

Zaine gives good advice here. I would doubly note how the individual makes certain to rechamber the kick, and not drop it down. Also notice how he doesn't lean over that much when kicking high. This comes from stretching. Don't lean to kick; if you kick high, your body will lean naturally.

Zaine also makes another good point about maintaining balance in motion. This is called agility, and you should look into some agility drills to help you with this. Doing some bag work is a good start, as you have to maintain your balance when absorbing the contact that the kick makes with the bag. This will translate well to sparring.

Finally, don't discount the advantage of having strong legs. Weighted squats (yes, weighted squats) are a great way to build strength in the legs, along with lunges.

Your instructor is right, this will come with time. But, it doesn't mean you can't help it along, either.

Thank you so much for you post :bowofrespect:

I looked for agility drills and found these videos, are these drill what you are talking about ?

http://www.kingsportstraining.com/blogs/training-blog/8269753-10-best-speed-and-agility-cone-drills

http://www.martial-art-potential.com/agility-training.html

:-? :-? :-?