• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Endurance, Stamina & Body conditioning

Safroot

sorry, it might be silly question but I am bit confused.

What is the difference between Endurance, Stamina & Body conditioning?

How can I improve each ?!!!

:-? :-? :-?

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
sorry, it might be silly question but I am bit confused.

What is the difference between Endurance, Stamina & Body conditioning?

How can I improve each ?!!!

:-? :-? :-?

I think they are similar, with fine point differences. And I think you are already improving each with what you are doing! :) But it's good to make sure you are balanced. I'm sure others will give better explanations, but I think body conditioning is more of a general term, and would include muscle strengthening, etc. Endurance and stamina are harder to distinguish. I think stamina has to do more with how good your cardio ability is, where endurance is more how long you last at something in general. But hopefully someone else will give a better description!

I think they are similar, with fine point differences

Yes totally agree with you and that's the reason of my confusion :kaioken:

Well, by definition, "endurance" and "stamina" are synonyms and mean the same thing. Some people in the exercise industry will say that one is cardiovascular and one is muscular, but none of them seem to agree on which is which. The term "body conditioning" usually refers to the process of conditioning the body to take impact (punches to the abdomen, kicks to the legs, forearm smashing, etc.). If you're referring to the term "conditioning" in terms of fitness, though, then I would say that is the process of becoming accustomed to a particular activity at a particular level of intensity. In that case, you're looking at specialized exercises and routines that are meant to specifically improve your performance at a given task.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Well, by definition, "endurance" and "stamina" are synonyms and mean the same thing. Some people in the exercise industry will say that one is cardiovascular and one is muscular, but none of them seem to agree on which is which. The term "body conditioning" usually refers to the process of conditioning the body to take impact (punches to the abdomen, kicks to the legs, forearm smashing, etc.). If you're referring to the term "conditioning" in terms of fitness, though, then I would say that is the process of becoming accustomed to a particular activity at a particular level of intensity. In that case, you're looking at specialized exercises and routines that are meant to specifically improve your performance at a given task.

Thanks Wastelander :bowofrespect:

• 2 weeks later...

Endurance, Stamina & Body conditioning - I would classify endurance and stamina being the same ( just my 3 cents ). Certain Forms/katas should give you the endurance/stamina & body conditioning - Forms like Sanchin in Goju-ryu and Uechi-ryu - Som Bo Jian in Southern Praying Mantis - Tit Sien in Hung gar etc etc... gives one the endurance and body conditioning - if done with the proper breath and body work. That being said - running, situps, pushups etc........don't hurt either.

They are essentially the same:

Stamina (noun)

The ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort.

synonym: Endurance

My personal opinion is that Body conditioning was more the ability to change you body to accept a certain situation. (harder knuckles, better balance etc?)

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

They are essentially the same:

Stamina (noun)

The ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort.

synonym: Endurance

My personal opinion is that Body conditioning was more the ability to change you body to accept a certain situation. (harder knuckles, better balance etc?)

:up:

Very well put. I agree. I would say that "conditioning" is the exercise process used to build stamina/endurance. Conditioning is a big part of what wrestlers do in training to sustain energy in a match. Body conditioning has more to do with "toughening" than anything else.

Its a good question, Safroot. There are lots of different terms for different types of activities out there in the exercise world, and we as Martial Artists, are part of that world. Its important to understand the pedagogy of what we do, so its good to ask! :)

Its important to understand the pedagogy of what we do, so its good to ask! :)

Yes it's always good to ask ... I haven't stopped asking since I joined this forum :lol: