• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was challenged!

Last night I was at my Schola class and I got the opportunity to have the whole class to myself. I always love it when that happens because the instructor tends to teach me some cool stuff that is a little ahead of the track. So, half way through a young man runs up and starts asking about a forma (kata) that we were doing. He noticed that the foot work was very similar to a Shotokan kata (I recognized the foot work from Pinan katas). The instructor had, in fact, taken the foot work from a Shotokan kata that his son does. The young man asked if he could join and he of course said yes.

So as the instructor was going over some basics the young man started swinging the sword around and doing flips with it, which clearly made the instructor a little uncomfortable but he just backed up a couple of steps and continued talking (he went into how Fiore had a very grounded system). Eventually, the young man got bored and asked us for a friendly challenge. He went into how he loved martial arts and has done TKD, Shotokan and studied Kenjutsu.

We declined, being that we had no safety gear and we weren't interested in sparring with swords without the gear. He seemed disappointed but politely walked away.

So, what are your thoughts on someone coming in to your space (we were outside) and challenging you? Is there room for this sort of thing in the modern world or is walking up to a school and issuing a challenge a relic of the past?

Your thoughts please!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The space, is mine to command, and no one else can assume that position. Over the years, I've been challenged by a wide plethora of individuals. I've nothing to prove by accepting their challenge. Am I afraid/scared? Of what? A disrespectful and dishonorable individual?! NO!! If a "visitor" and a student can't conduct themselves accordingly and with civility, then they will leave my dojo immediately. They must leave!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I guess whether it has a place or not is irrelevant; its apparently still around, and it will be up to each individual as to how they plan to deal with it.

Now, when it comes to things like this, there are all the regular thoughts to keep in mind, like what Bob mentions, but you also have to consider the liability of injuries, especially in dualing with weapons. Its not worth any "honor" if someone is going to come back on you with a law suit. Too expensive.

A local instructor was foolish enough to accept a challenge from a stranger at his Dojo. The situation evolved from an innocent looking strangle defence into a real life threatening situation. He did survive; but only just. There is a lesson here I think.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

the young man started swinging the sword around and doing flips with it,

Doesn't sound like any kind of legitimate Kenjutsu I've ever studied or even heard of. As for wanting to spar with live blades with somebody you "just met"...well I don't think I'd be interested in that either.

I have done some live blade "exercises" with people I've trained with for years and that's as close as I get to sparring with anything like a katana. I've seen a couple examples of what happens if somebody gets careless, complacent or simply has an accident when working with live blades. It's an experience I can do without personally.

Not ready for prime time signature removed.

As for wanting to spar with live blades

We use polypropylene blades. They won't maim anybody but I can attest to the fact that a nice conk on the head does not feel comfortable.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Dog Brother's event.

Sorry What's this "Dog Brother's event" ?

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.