• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pullups and its effects on martial arts

chrisw08

For normal hanging pull ups I do two variations. Overhand grip (palms facing away) which is a wider grip and hits the lats more or the narrower palms facing you grip which puts more emphasis on biceps.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think pull-ups and chin-ups are very useful for back and arm muscles.

In Kyokushin, chin-ups is part of our grading :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I love pull ups and chin ups, and think that they are a great compliment to martial arts along with other bodyweight training.

I generally do drop sets.

One set to exhaustion;

1-2min rest;

2nd set to exhaustion;

1-2min rest;

Final set to exhaustion.

Here my sets tend to drop by 2-3 reps each time, but much like pushups, I have found this a great way to gradually increase the total I can do in one set.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I love pull ups and chin ups, and think that they are a great compliment to martial arts along with other bodyweight training.

I generally do drop sets.

One set to exhaustion;

1-2min rest;

2nd set to exhaustion;

1-2min rest;

Final set to exhaustion.

Here my sets tend to drop by 2-3 reps each time, but much like pushups, I have found this a great way to gradually increase the total I can do in one set.

Great advice! Also, don't be discouraged if to exhaustion means only 1 or 2 pull-ups. They're not easy at first! Keep at it and you will build up the muscles to do more!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I think they are a great exercise for anything one does. I can't do them well, and struggle getting one. But there are ways to augment to get them done, and eventually get to doing one, then two, and so on.

I'd say they are probably better than push-ups, if you can do them.

It occurred to me that I recommend "kettlebell clinch pull-ups" to people a lot, so I recorded a quick video demonstrating them over the weekend.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 1 year later...

Im 5 8 and 174 lbs 22% body fat and i push as hard i can to do one and a half so its deffinitly more of a powerhouse workout for me instead of being skinny and bustin out 10 at once. Im trying to lose As much weight as i can but im going to keep my rep range from 1 to 5 with my weight vest vest untill i go up and up. Btw what would be a good weight for me at 5 8 and doing pushups pullups and shedding to about 12% fat

Any good strength & conditioning coach will tell you you for every "pushing" exercise, you should be doing at least one "pulling" exercise.

People don't like to do them because they're too hard to do. Another excellent strength & conditioning coach saying: the most important exercise to do is the one you hate doing. Why do people hate doing certain exercises? Because they're not good at them.

IMO, push-ups, rows, dips, pull-ups, squats (and/or variations of each), and planks should be the cornerstones of strength training. Throw squat-thrusts/burpees in there too. Crunches are very overrated. Do those exercises well, and there's not much else you need IMO.

Olympic lifts are great too, so long as you know how to do them properly. Way too easy to injure yourself if your technique is off, and a lot of people mess them up.

• 1 year later...

My pull up bar attached to my bathroom door frame is the best exercise equipment I will ever own. I also have very strong elastic tubes with handles to pull down on. Also strong straps to practice upside down yoga. For martial art strength training 'I think it is great'