• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournaments coming up....

Do-gi

Speed. Angles. Both are your friend as a short fighter. Also do not only think of your disadvantages! You are a smaller target! They are a bigger target! But do be aware that their legs/reach is longer. That is where the angles come in. You do not want direct head on "clash" type attack unless you are VERY fast. Working off angles is crucial.

Solid post :up:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, next tournament in a weeks time, couple of (more) questions... :D

In kumite, what do I do against a tall opponent? I'm barely 5'3, which is a slight disadvantage. Basically, what would be the best tactics, strategies and techniques to use?

I'm doing bassai-dai (well, I'm 80% sure I'm doing bassai-dai): how can I really ''sell'' the kata? More speed? Power? Cleaner technique? What really sells this kata?

Thanks!

Speed. Angles. Both are your friend as a short fighter. Also do not only think of your disadvantages! You are a smaller target! They are a bigger target! But do be aware that their legs/reach is longer. That is where the angles come in. You do not want direct head on "clash" type attack unless you are VERY fast. Working off angles is crucial.

Yes, I've had other's tell me how great angles are; however what I don't understand is how to use them. You say unless you use angles you have to be very fast - but in my (limited, I grant you) experience you also have to be very fast to use angles as well. They see you moving off to the side, and just change direction as well.

Could you please explain?

In kumite, what do I do against a tall opponent?

AdamKralic hits the nail on the head, don't go toe to toe with the guy. Stay on his outside and keep moving.

I'm doing bassai-dai (well, I'm 80% sure I'm doing bassai-dai): how can I really ''sell'' the kata? More speed? Power? Cleaner technique? What really sells this kata?

This also depends on the judge. Again, I would look for good technique, as I stated above. However, make sure that you're intense. As a judge, I want to know that you believe in what you're doing. This doesn't necessarily mean screaming at the top of your lungs for a kiai, but if that helps you the go for it! However, do the kata as it is mean to. If your bassai is anything like the way I learned passai, then there are parts that are calculated and slow, and parts that are fast and intense so you should use that to your advantage. Again, make sure to practice this kata a lot! Remember that you're putting on a show for the judge to be impressed with, sell it with your technique and knowledge!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

AdamKralic hits the nail on the head, don't go toe to toe with the guy. Stay on his outside and keep moving.

That's the beauty of differing methodologies and the like; I want to go toe to toe with the guy; staying on his inside/outside close-up and personal while still moving. That's our forte; in your face!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

So, next tournament in a weeks time, couple of (more) questions... :D

In kumite, what do I do against a tall opponent? I'm barely 5'3, which is a slight disadvantage. Basically, what would be the best tactics, strategies and techniques to use?

Thanks!

Yes, I've had other's tell me how great angles are; however what I don't understand is how to use them. You say unless you use angles you have to be very fast - but in my (limited, I grant you) experience you also have to be very fast to use angles as well. They see you moving off to the side, and just change direction as well.

Could you please explain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfe2tqid96k

That is a drill. But in that drill it's all angles. To simplify it more...your rear leg moves first either to the right (forward) or to the left (rearward) opposite if you are a southpaw. You then launch off that rear leg towards the opponent. You will notice that if they are a stationary object...you are now coming at that object at a diagonal angle instead of straight on.

As to the being inside vs staying outside...i think there may have been some confusion...i was probably unclear.

Short people ultimately NEED to get inside to score. Jousting it what is particularly horrible as a short person. (think of the medieval jousters...imagine if one of them had a lance that was 5' longer) Who would win every single time? The person with the longer lance of course. Now what if the short lance jouster was able to sidestep the long lance opponent and them stab them with their shorter lance? Now the short lance person would win.

Visualize my example...that will help you understand a lot imho. (angles...footwork...avoiding an attack w/o running away...etc.)

all that being said...there are times to stay outside...but "in general" that does favor the taller fighter.

Get up in a point fight?

Stay outside...circle towards their back. They will pivot correctly most likely to match your movement...but have few options offensively while pivoting towards their back. (counterclockwise if a righty)

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

Tournament was today, and I am exhausted.

It was a complete emotional rollercoater, because at one point I was told my division had been merged with the brown belts(!), so I was panicking like you wouldn't believe, then I saw the brown belts already competing so I thought I'd missed it (so more freaking out), then I was told I would be doing kata with the browns but kumite with another division so I started panicking again because I'm GREEN (let's remember this), and then I was told I was not competing with the browns at all. So I started to relax, calm down and bam they tell me I'm competing against grades that are only slightly lower than brown! I finally meet my kumite division and I start freaking out again because they're either really huge/heavy, or really tall!!

So, in the end I got gold for kata, and silver for kumite. I'm pleased I bet the brown belt that was there, but the really tall blue belt bet me by one point. I think the brown belt thought I was an easy win so she got complacent.

But I really, really want a double gold!! I've got grading (hopefully) in two weeks, and then another tournament, so I'm going to try even harder.

Thanks guys for all your awesome suggestions and advice!

Do-gi.