• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournaments coming up....

Do-gi

Hi everyone!

I've got two tournaments coming up: one on the march 16th, the other on the 30th. The first one is an all styles one - I'm really nervous about it. I've only ever competed once, and that was a small, local inter-dojo. This one is NZMAC (New Zealand Martial Arts Championships).

Basically I'm looking for training tips and suggestions. What do the judges look for in an all-styles tournament? What is freestyle sparring? How can I improve my kata? Speaking of kata, should I do my grading kata which I'm fairly proficient at, or do another higher kata which looks more impressive and I'm also fairly proficient at?

Thanks!

Do-gi.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still new to MA (only 2 months experience) with no tournament experience at all so I won't be able to help you much but I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated with the results :karate:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

TRain. Eat well. Sleep well.

Know that the next tournament...and the next after that are two drops in your bucket. Neither will be the be all end all of your journey.

In short, you have everything to gain and nothing whatsoever to lose.

What do the judges look for in an all-styles tournament?

It really depends on the judge. What I would look for is good technique, did the competitor stumble or forget anything and, if so, how did they recover.

What is freestyle sparring?

This is sparring that isn't interrupted to count points. So in points sparring, someone will score a point, say a kick to the abdomen, and the fight will stop, the points will be tallied and the fight will go on. In freestyle sparring, the points are tallied as the fight goes on. So instead of the fight ending when someone hits 3 points, the fight ends after a set amount of time.

How can I improve my kata?

Practice. Every day for at least an hour you should devote yourself to practicing Martial Arts. I use this as a general rule regardless of whether or not someone is going to a tournament. Also, ask your instructor to give you some pointers before or after class.

Speaking of kata, should I do my grading kata which I'm fairly proficient at, or do another higher kata which looks more impressive and I'm also fairly proficient at?

Do whatever your comfortable with. If you would like to do the higher level kata, put the practice in. If you think you have a better shot at winning with the one you're more proficient at, do that one. Again, talk to your instructor about it.

Good luck at the tournament!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

What do the judges look for in an all-styles tournament?

It really depends on the judge. What I would look for is good technique, did the competitor stumble or forget anything and, if so, how did they recover.

What is freestyle sparring?

This is sparring that isn't interrupted to count points. So in points sparring, someone will score a point, say a kick to the abdomen, and the fight will stop, the points will be tallied and the fight will go on. In freestyle sparring, the points are tallied as the fight goes on. So instead of the fight ending when someone hits 3 points, the fight ends after a set amount of time.

How can I improve my kata?

Practice. Every day for at least an hour you should devote yourself to practicing Martial Arts. I use this as a general rule regardless of whether or not someone is going to a tournament. Also, ask your instructor to give you some pointers before or after class.

Speaking of kata, should I do my grading kata which I'm fairly proficient at, or do another higher kata which looks more impressive and I'm also fairly proficient at?

Do whatever your comfortable with. If you would like to do the higher level kata, put the practice in. If you think you have a better shot at winning with the one you're more proficient at, do that one. Again, talk to your instructor about it.

Good luck at the tournament!

Solid post!!

I'll add, if it's at all possible, get the rules and regulations for said tournament so that you'll have an idea about what's allowed and what's not. Sometimes, that can make all of the difference.

Whenever I've been the Arbitrator, I'd quickly discover that the one complaining about something at a tournament, didn't know the rules and regulations, therefore, I'd rule against them.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks guys for your replies!

Tournament was today. And kata went terrible.

I was put into the same division as a brown belt, red belt, and black belt. I'm so confused. How is that fair? The brown and red told me specifically that they have been training for at least 5 years. I've had just over 1 year. Is it wrong to feel a bit angry about this? Considering that you actually have to state on your entry form how long you've been training for...how could this even be a mistake? I don't want to whinge, but it was just so humiliating.

I got first place in kumite against a brown belt, anyway.

I've got a tournament coming up in two weeks, and I'm determined to get double gold.

Usually the judges will look for strength, power, speed, timing and how well the kata is performed.

to improve at kata you PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!! I practice my kata (each one) everyday. When leading up to a tournament I practice the kata that i am going to do there. Since I am a goju practitioner i usually do Gekesai Ichi (rare one for me to do), Seeiunchin (I know two versions; goju & shito-ryu), Saifa, Kururunfa, Seipai.

Also I do practice the whole routine of etiquette prior & post doing the kata itself.

Do the kata that you are most comfortable with, and also it is still a good idea to be proficient with some higher kata. As every kata is weighted differently

So, next tournament in a weeks time, couple of (more) questions... :D

In kumite, what do I do against a tall opponent? I'm barely 5'3, which is a slight disadvantage. Basically, what would be the best tactics, strategies and techniques to use?

I'm doing bassai-dai (well, I'm 80% sure I'm doing bassai-dai): how can I really ''sell'' the kata? More speed? Power? Cleaner technique? What really sells this kata?

Thanks!

So, next tournament in a weeks time, couple of (more) questions... :D

In kumite, what do I do against a tall opponent? I'm barely 5'3, which is a slight disadvantage. Basically, what would be the best tactics, strategies and techniques to use?

I'm doing bassai-dai (well, I'm 80% sure I'm doing bassai-dai): how can I really ''sell'' the kata? More speed? Power? Cleaner technique? What really sells this kata?

Thanks!

Speed. Angles. Both are your friend as a short fighter. Also do not only think of your disadvantages! You are a smaller target! They are a bigger target! But do be aware that their legs/reach is longer. That is where the angles come in. You do not want direct head on "clash" type attack unless you are VERY fast. Working off angles is crucial.