• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which instructor you like more ?

As an instructor, I find it easy to fall into the rut of just repeating the same exercises over and over again in an effort to "push students". So, to prevent this, I frequently do things to switch things up, keep them guessing, but most importantly, find different ways to push the students.

For instance, instead of doing our usual 30 - 50 pushups each warmup session, I might do things like have students start in pushup position, do 5 pushups, drop to plank position on toes and elbows and hold for X amount of seconds, do 5 more pushups, switch to left-elbow planks and hold, 5 more pushups, switch to right-elbow planks and hold, then 5 more pushups. It pushes the students equally as hard or harder than 30 pushups, keeps things moving, and works different parts of their core/body.

So, IMHO, I like the instructor that can find the most impactful way to push students as any given time. The most impactful was to push students might change (most likely will) from day to day or week to week.

:karate:

I agree. I've been in karate for nearly three months now, three times a week, and we have never had the same warm up / conditioning twice. The way that the various elements are mixed up, the number we do, etc. is different every single time, and I love it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One who gets down and does the pushups with you!

they both do .... but we are not at the same level of fitness at all :bawling:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Its important to be challenging as an instructor, but not necessarily a drill sergeant. Each student is different, and each will react differently to different types of instruction. Also, each classroom situation can be different, too. If you have a student sandbagging a lot, then it might be a time to change the instructional approach to them. Maybe a little bit of drill sergeant would be good for them. Or, it may shut them down completely. So in that case, you have to decide if you want them in the class or not, and decide if you are willing to take an approach that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back, losing them as a student.

An instructor should be pushing each of his students to get better. He/she just has to figure out which is the best way to do that for each student, and act accordingly.

Its important to be challenging as an instructor, but not necessarily a drill sergeant. Each student is different, and each will react differently to different types of instruction. Also, each classroom situation can be different, too. If you have a student sandbagging a lot, then it might be a time to change the instructional approach to them. Maybe a little bit of drill sergeant would be good for them. Or, it may shut them down completely. So in that case, you have to decide if you want them in the class or not, and decide if you are willing to take an approach that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back, losing them as a student.

An instructor should be pushing each of his students to get better. He/she just has to figure out which is the best way to do that for each student, and act accordingly.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Good point of view :bowofrespect:

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Every student's journey is different. For me personally-quality is far more important than quantity-the repititions will come with time.

8)

I completely agree with you ninjanurse! When i teach i will vary how i teach with whomever i have.

The quality of techniques i find is way more important than the quantity. because when it comes to the crunch time when a person has to use it they would rather be able to use an effective technique over lots of terrible ones.

Every student's journey is different. For me personally-quality is far more important than quantity-the repititions will come with time.

8)

I completely agree with you ninjanurse! When i teach i will vary how i teach with whomever i have.

The quality of techniques i find is way more important than the quantity. because when it comes to the crunch time when a person has to use it they would rather be able to use an effective technique over lots of terrible ones.

Imho, that's the mark of a great instructor!!

8)

Imho, that's the mark of a great instructor!! :)

Thanks Sensei8. I won't pass any student on any test until they can show that they have shown proficiency in what they need to know even if it is under pressure.

8)

Imho, that's the mark of a great instructor!! :)

Thanks Sensei8. I won't pass any student on any test until they can show that they have shown proficiency in what they need to know even if it is under pressure.

Absolutely!!