• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sjogren's syndrome

wagnerk

Well it's been a couple of months now since I've been diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome, and while the majority of the time the symptoms are "manageable", the past few days it's been a lot harder.

I'm taking a few things at the moment (well for the past couple of months); Glucosamine, Cod liver oil, Calcium tablets, honegar, eye drops as well as piroxicam, paracetamol and ibuprofen (and the stronger versions of them when required), while I'm waiting for my referral to see the rheumatologist for a proper treatment and further tests (there's a possibility that I may also have rheumatoid arthritis or Lupus).

So my question is, to those that suffer from forms of autoimmune conditions before you got treated/put on a treatment, what did you do to alleviate joint pain? And did you either have to stop training or pause your training?

Edited by wagnerk

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wish you recovery here. My wife has been dealing with some rheumatoid arthritis, and it can be painful. She has made some changes in her diet, stays away from certain things, and has been feeling better lately. I hope it goes well for you, and you are able to keep training.

Both land- and water-based exercises are beneficial for patients with rheumatoid arthritis at all stages of the disease. Patients with rheumatoid arthritis have better outcomes in both psychological and physical function if they engage in aerobic exercise of moderate to high intensity. Rheumatoid arthritis disease activity is not substantially increased by exercise, a common fear in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. A recommendation for regular aerobic and strengthening exercise in all these patients is therefore appropriate. Exercise may also reduce the risk of osteoporosis and atherosclerosis, but this is unproven.

The role of diet in rheumatoid arthritis remains controversial. Several studies have shown that dietary modifications including strict vegan diets, gluten-free diets and the Mediterranean-style diet produce small benefits in rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. However, no single diet results in consistent improvement for all patients with rheumatoid arthritis. The Mediterranean-style diet, characterised by a high consumption of fruit, vegetables, cereals and legumes, a little red meat but more fish, olive oil as the main source of fat, and a moderate intake of wine, appears to be the most universally accepted dietary intervention and has the added benefit of weight control and cardiovascular risk modification.

above mentioned advice is copied from Therapeutic Guidelines 2014. wish it would help u as well regarding diet and exercise :)

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

for pain relief I would recommend (as a pharmacist) paracetamol on regular basis (maximum 4 gm daily) and Ibuprofen on when required basis. If more pain relief is needed better to check with your GP till you visit the Rheumatologist.

wish you get better soon and keep us updated :)

N.B: please make sure you are not allergic to paracetamol & ibuprofen before using it :D

That's good but just keep it on "as required basis" as much as you can

Thanks mate, what diet changes did she do?

She stays away from anything with a high iron intake. She can't take any vitamin C supplements, because it promotes the absorbtion of iron. She has also cut out a lot of soda, especially store bought stuff with high fructose corn syrup. Some little things like that.