• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Possible Fracture?

ShotokanGage

Hi All,

At training last night we were doing quite a bit of sparring, and I (very stupidly) blocked a kick with an open hand. I can't remember specifically what happened, but my third finger along caught on his shin I believe, and needless to say, it hurt!

I continued going though, until the end of the sparring. Then I walked around stretching my finger out and in repeatedly just to keep bloodflow and so it didn't blow up. Then I went back and did some more sparring!

Anyway, I'm not especially concerned, just curious for advise. Has anybody seen an injury of this sort before? I've been advised that it could be a hairline fracture, although I can bend the finger back and forth, it's just restricted due to the swelling (which I couldn't avoid, obviously!)

Anyone got any information? :-) Thanks! (P.s. I have attached an image!)http://oi44.tinypic.com/23ixtp1.jpg[/img]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To be honest, if you have any concerns you should visit your GP/Doctor/Nurse. Better to get it checked out sooner rather than later :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Take above advise....

If you can move it then I would say you either have a fracture or just heavily bruised it, either way it will be very painful for several days, maybe even weeks.

I did similar with a crooked punch that not only took the full force on my small finger knuckle but it made contact with a bony part of the opponent and hurt for weeks.

So long as you don't have pins and needles at the end of your finger and its normal temperature then it should be okay, but will need to be rested or bandaged up whilst training.

Above all of this is if you are in pain or in any doubt then don't take the advise of online KarateKa - GO SEE a Doctor!

An x-ray will let you know - although their advise will be to stop doing MA for weeks. You can train with injuries if you are careful and have a good instructor.

As a Pharmacist, I would say it might be a micro crack (micro fracture) as long as you can bend it but picture only isn't enough. I totally agree with wagnerk, you have to get it checked by your GP (most probably will ask for an X-ray). Wish you get better soon and keep us update.

"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."

Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Thanks for all your replies. I will make an appointment as soon as possible. Hopefully it's just heavily bruised; I can't be bothered with the hassle of a fracture! Apologies for the poor quality image, and thanks for your well wishes :-) I want to crack my knuckles and it's very hard to resist....!

Splint the finger until you can get it checked out by a medical professional. Sometimes, what seems like a broken bone actually isn't, and what doesn't seem like a broken bone actually is. It's best be be sure!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Get it checked to make sure you aren't doing anything to make it worse.

Had a bad MA moment a few years ago (poorly executed block) and injured my right pinky finger. GP said it wasn't broken (and didn't request x-rays) but it still looks off so I think the GP was wrong. Fortunately it doesn't look that far off.

Splint the finger until you can get it checked out by a medical professional. Sometimes, what seems like a broken bone actually isn't, and what doesn't seem like a broken bone actually is. It's best be be sure!

Do this. It's good that you've made an appointment. Too many Martial Artists that I've known have ignored injuries such as this and ended up making it MUCH worse that it was ever going to be.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Ouch! I agree with the others to get it checked out. You could check it by holding the finger out straight, and then tapping the fingertip with the palm with the finger straight. My mom told me when I was a kid that if I didn't pee my pants after that, then it probably wasnt broken.

But, to be safe, get it looked at.

To be honest, if you have any concerns you should visit your GP/Doctor/Nurse. Better to get it checked out sooner rather than later :)

Solid post; I concur!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!