• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

50+ Years Old!!

sensei8

Do you have any medical conditions? The only reason why I can think of is that he doesn't want the risk of any major health problems.

The fact that he is saying you can only do 30 mins is odd. mainly because the more exercise you do the better your overall health is. just as long as your recovery is also adequate.

Speak to another doctor. but for best results speak to an exercise physiologist because they know what levels of exercise you should be doing and also they can help prescribe exercise for you so you can either do it in a gym or at home (or even in the dojo, park etc).

Honestly I don't think your doctor should be saying doing limited exercise for you. unless he thinks that there is an issue for you and if he has actually had done tests on you.

To the bold type above...

I've high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

The 30 minutes is to get me use to walking ONLY because I'd rather run, but he's against that. I'm not wanting another doctor because I've had him as my doctor for life!!

:(

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a heart disease so exercise is not an option for me, I have to do it. I have also been told the 30 minutes spiel and sought a second opinion and what the other doctor said was that 30 minutes is the minimum amount of exercise recommended a day. They recommend doing no more because they tend not to ask you whether or not you exercise on a regular basis so they don't know what your body can handle. Starting 30 minutes and gradually moving upwards is a great idea for someone who literally does nothing and has done nothing for an extended amount of time. I would ask again and mention that you exercise already and ask WHY it has to be 30 minutes a day. Chances are that the doctor just wants to make sure that your body can handle it first.
I'm now 56

Please. We all know that your in your mid-30s and that you wrestle bulls in your spare time.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: In my younger days, lol!!

:idea:

corny as it sounds...age is a number.

Not even an important number. Want to know what IS an important number? How old you will be when you die. Without knowing that date an optimist is to assume that they are in the prime of their life at all times. Or see it this way: if you are 56 and destined to hit 100...and another is 33 and destined to hit 35. Who is younger?

Even though age is a number, it is a risk factor in both men and women over the age of 45 (women) and 50 (men). so it is an IMPORTANT number in a persons overall health. and in this case it is a risk factor. But will depend on the rest of his health. so currently he is a low risk patient and he can do exercise without medical supervision or supervised by those who are trained to deal with such patients.

If any medical professional excludes age when risk stratifying any patient, they are at risk of injury.

But Sensei8's doctor who has recommnended only 30 minutes a day. It is insufficient exercise to maintain health. that time is done just walking around the house, office or walking anywhere you want to get done. he should be doing a lot more than that and to have a healthy older life.

any exercise done that is above the bare minimum that is recommended by ESSA (Exercise Sport Science Australia), ACSM (American College Sports Medicine) and other national associations that set standards on what people should be doing for exercise. and unfortunately doctors don't always look at such recommendations.

It's 30 minutes of BRISK walking and I'm to find different topographies to challenge myself. Walk slow, walk normal, and walk fast during the 30 minutes.

:)

As we age, and we all age differently, we need to modify our goals and training program(s) to accommodate what is happening to our bodies. We do become more fragile, slower, takes longer to heal, old injuries come back to haunt us and so on. As a MA instructor and Personal Trainer I have seen what 'active living' does for a person, my advise is never stop moving and move and do as much as you can for as long as you can!!! Your doctors recommendation is the bare minimum prescribed exercise, and if he/she gave you any more they maybe open to lawsuit if anything happens. As already mentioned find an exercise physiologist or a doctor who just so happens to be a MA or other athlete ~ I'm lucky, if I don't like what my doctor tells me I get to 'spar' with him later that week!

We all can find inspirational individuals at 'later' stages in life and mine is a Power Lifter at one of the gyms I work at. He's 75 this year and has finally dropped his competition Deadlift under 420lbs. The reason is that he does have some eye problems and is not supposed to raise his blood pressure... This man is a great inspiration to us at the gym as he's been lifting longer then most of us have been alive and is always there with a smile and willing to help out the younger people in the gym.

An Exercise Physiologist is pretty much the best person to speak to in terms of exercise. Doctors who do Martial Arts is good yes, but they don't really understand the ins and outs of exercise prescription for different people. Physiotherapists have a pretty good idea of what happens and how to prescribe exercise to patients (on an individual basis).

But since you said that your a PT, you do realize that even though you prescribe exercise to individuals that there is a big group of people that you can't technically work with? Like you can work with people who are low risk of any complications and some people who are at moderate risk. But shouldn't be working with high risk patients.

when i say high risk i mean if they have cardiovascular, metabolic, respiratory diseases. Thats why as an EP we do a risk stratification for patients first time they see us. the main reason why we have metabolic under the banner of high risk is because of the complications that could occur during exercise.

But yes if anything did happen, he can indeed sue purely because the doctor didn't take appropriate actions in ensuring the safety of their patients. That is why they should refer any patient to an EP if they want their patient to exercise and safely. But even then if the doctor didn't inform the EP of anything wrong with the patient (and there was) they can still file the lawsuit

What's an EP and a PT?

First of all, I'd like to thank each and everyone of you who've posted. Each of you've had some very solid posts, posts that I will listen to across the board.

As far as me lessen my floor time, as suggested by my doctor, ah, hhhmmmm, well, NO!! Not a fat chance!! No floor, no life!! Me and the floor are connected, and it would kill be to separate us after such a long hate and love relationship. Thanks Doctor, but no thanks!!

I've written down a lot of your suggestions here, and I will speak about them with my doctor and I will speak with others in the many fields. I value each of your advice.

You're not as old as you feel...or something like this. But I do know that I'm not as spry as I use to be, and it's not a mind thing, it's me being honest with myself.

I look forward to any other suggestions that you may have for me.

As we all know, I will listen, but I'll listen harder to my doctor and the pros in their fields. In life, you get one chance, and life, as precious as it is, I want to have a great chance!!

Thank you ALL!!

:D

As we age, and we all age differently, we need to modify our goals and training program(s) to accommodate what is happening to our bodies. We do become more fragile, slower, takes longer to heal, old injuries come back to haunt us and so on. As a MA instructor and Personal Trainer I have seen what 'active living' does for a person, my advise is never stop moving and move and do as much as you can for as long as you can!!! Your doctors recommendation is the bare minimum prescribed exercise, and if he/she gave you any more they maybe open to lawsuit if anything happens. As already mentioned find an exercise physiologist or a doctor who just so happens to be a MA or other athlete ~ I'm lucky, if I don't like what my doctor tells me I get to 'spar' with him later that week!

We all can find inspirational individuals at 'later' stages in life and mine is a Power Lifter at one of the gyms I work at. He's 75 this year and has finally dropped his competition Deadlift under 420lbs. The reason is that he does have some eye problems and is not supposed to raise his blood pressure... This man is a great inspiration to us at the gym as he's been lifting longer then most of us have been alive and is always there with a smile and willing to help out the younger people in the gym.

An Exercise Physiologist is pretty much the best person to speak to in terms of exercise. Doctors who do Martial Arts is good yes, but they don't really understand the ins and outs of exercise prescription for different people. Physiotherapists have a pretty good idea of what happens and how to prescribe exercise to patients (on an individual basis).

But since you said that your a PT, you do realize that even though you prescribe exercise to individuals that there is a big group of people that you can't technically work with? Like you can work with people who are low risk of any complications and some people who are at moderate risk. But shouldn't be working with high risk patients.

when i say high risk i mean if they have cardiovascular, metabolic, respiratory diseases. Thats why as an EP we do a risk stratification for patients first time they see us. the main reason why we have metabolic under the banner of high risk is because of the complications that could occur during exercise.

But yes if anything did happen, he can indeed sue purely because the doctor didn't take appropriate actions in ensuring the safety of their patients. That is why they should refer any patient to an EP if they want their patient to exercise and safely. But even then if the doctor didn't inform the EP of anything wrong with the patient (and there was) they can still file the lawsuit

What's an EP and a PT?

An EP is an Exercise Physiologist and PT is personal trainer

What's an EP and a PT?

An EP is an Exercise Physiologist and PT is personal trainer

AHA...thank you!!

Do you have any medical conditions? The only reason why I can think of is that he doesn't want the risk of any major health problems.

The fact that he is saying you can only do 30 mins is odd. mainly because the more exercise you do the better your overall health is. just as long as your recovery is also adequate.

Speak to another doctor. but for best results speak to an exercise physiologist because they know what levels of exercise you should be doing and also they can help prescribe exercise for you so you can either do it in a gym or at home (or even in the dojo, park etc).

Honestly I don't think your doctor should be saying doing limited exercise for you. unless he thinks that there is an issue for you and if he has actually had done tests on you.

The 30 minutes is to get me use to walking ONLY because I'd rather run, but he's against that. I'm not wanting another doctor because I've had him as my doctor for life!!

OK since you since you have high blood pressure (do you know blood pressure?) You would be a high risk patient (due to high blood pressure). Your doctor should refer you to a exercise physiologist. As they are trained to deal with patients with cardiovascular issues

OK since you since you have high blood pressure (do you know blood pressure?) You would be a high risk patient (due to high blood pressure). Your doctor should refer you to a exercise physiologist. As they are trained to deal with patients with cardiovascular issues

Been there...done that!!

Sensei8,

I took judo from a 72 year old man that threw us around like rag dolls and was in better shape than most of us. My Sensei is 84 and has been in the arts for 69 years.

I am up there as well and find that the things I could so as a kid aren't as easy now.

I have high blood pressure and my joints are less than perfect after years of abusing them.

I teach 2 nights a week and take lessons 1 night a week and on Saturday and run with my dogs for 1 to 3 miles on my off nights. Right now is hunting season and were I hunt is pretty hilly. Nothing like draging a deer out a 1/4 of a mile to get your heart rate up.

I don't think age is the deciding factor of whether you can train for 30 minutes or more. It's you over all health thats the important factor.

I feel good and my body hasn't fallen apart yet so I continue to train. Of course I'm not going to try to do the same things I was able to when I was 20 nor could I. But I do what I can and as of right now I can still get out of bed the next morning without my wife helping me so life is good.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.