• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kids OR Adults?!?

In your opinion...

Who's a better student: Kids OR Adults?? Why??

I believe that kids are better students because of thier unbridled enthusiasm and imagination and quite fearlessness, yet not reckless. not meaning that adults aren't capable across the board.

Your thoughts, please.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmm, Well if you want the opinion of this lowly brown belt (Adult student), I think the best student is a teen... They are old enough that they have discipline when needed, but they have nearly the same enthusiasm, imagination, and fearlessness, as a kid.

on the negative side they learn fast and are always asking for more regardless of how sound the techniques are, and you can run into the issue of puberty between your guys and girls.

All, in all I think every student as an individual has pros and cons, As an instructor you need spot them and correct, workaround, or embrace the differences.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

Kids!

They have no preconceptions or advanced understanding of what the body can or cannot do.

The result is there enthusiasm, there confidence carries them way past 'that' point an adults mind says, "ok that's enough, the physics says no!"

They will always look to the grown up for guidance, ad in a dojo that adult is black belt, which to a child is the best there is. If the black belt can do and says they can do it the black belt must be right!

An adult will understand the instructions and even have trust/faith in the instructor, but in the adults mind is a range of stuff, some rubbish and experience that will have, may have could have a negative effect on the commitment and drive.

Pain memory for example, will have an adult hold back on the committing to a movement....

Adults need more time to gain trust to see proof to break the pain memory for example.

Example.

Break boards or roof tiles in front of

Kids - your are amazing!

- that's the result that's the effect that demonstration has.

so when they are asked to do the same one day:

result: sure let me do it!

Adult - Wow! that must have taken time to practice to get it right

so when they are asked to do the same one day:

result: ok...um...sure...lets have a go.

Both will learn, both will 'do' the task, just one adopts the 'amazing' as easy to do (even normal), where the other sees the amazing and considers it possible.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I have taught both and honestly for me it is a combination of the two.

Because some of the kids i've taught aren't wanting to learn or aren't even excited to be learning karate. Some are enthusiastic and want to learn it.

Whilst 30% of the adults are the same where they are doing it because they have to. and the rest are wanting to learn, even the more difficult techniques, kata and pre-arranged sparring.