• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate shotokan training

cici118

Hi everyone! In August I want to improve my karate by training every day.

I'm a brown belt. So, I want to ask for your help to build a training plan that aboards everything.(notice that I'm going to train alone)

Thanks in advance

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

cici118 - I have never studied Shotokan - but have seen a lot of it and some great teachers. This is how I would do it. 1st I would try not to burn myself out ( but look whose talking I'm 59 YO lol ).

2nd -I would try not to create bad habits on my own. 3rd - I would practice the Forms/Katas slowly - even though they are actually done at a faster pace - the articulation is important - and hopefully it will give me a better understanding from going from move A to B and B to C and so on. Good luck and I hope I somewhat helped.

Firstly a lecture about going it alone before you have reached the end of your apprenticeship.....

Normally at Brown belt you need that extra training but it should be with good instructors! If you are mixing your training with Dojo/home then good but to practice alone you WILL slowly develope bad habits and not see enough to correct them, you will never get up to the correct speed and power as the average Brown belt needs pushing.

Good Shotokan should be trained technically correct and at very high speed/power, it is very difficult to push yourself up to this speed while maintianing power and good technique.

However, if you do any training yourself then ensure you have a fair mix of combinations, basics and Kata - you will never be able to do proper Kumite unless you have a partner or 6.

You will also never be able to "see" Kata for what it truly is...

Get to a Dojo as well!

• 1 year later...

You can do bodyweight workouts for strength, muscular endurance and explosive power. You can accomplish this through circuits or just standard sets/reps. No matter what the exercise is, keep in mind what your goal is. If you want to be explosive, think of performing each rep explosively. You could go through all of your kata and/or Kihon as a warmup and/or cool down for each workout. Just 2-3 times per week outside of your dojo training is enough! Good luck

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• 4 weeks later...

Practice everyday and be extremely picky about what you do in every technique.

Since you are planning on training on your own you will need to raise your heart rate by doing high intensity activities.

Kata you can do at all speeds BUT whilst maintaining proper form and doing the techniques properly.

Kumite you will stuggle with doing on your own.

Will you no longer be attending formal classes anymore? If not, hopefully you'll maintain the positive muscle memory that you've achieved thus far.

Challenge yourself each and every day!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Whatever your reason for training alone, make sure you can get some feedback somehow. Find some good sources online (youtube can be your friend) to use as references for technical work. Video yourself, then watch a video of someone with credibitliy and experience, and correct yourself accordingly. It'll be tougher to do it that way, but not impossible.